Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

What One & Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:05 AM
ScooterTrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What One & Why?

Hi all, I am getting a Magnum57 soon, What Radio system would you get & why? "Need Range"
Old 09-09-2007, 01:24 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: What One & Why?

Radio system is personal preference ... and I guess also where you run your boat(s) due to what kind , and how much possible intereference .
As far as range ?
They all will go the same distance ( untill outside RF mess's with your signal which is what happens and why folks say/think that say for example Fm goes further than AM ... not true ... they would BOTH go the same distance with the same amount of intereference
All radio TX's are regulated by the FCC and max allowed ouput power is 750 mw ( milli watts )
Wanna go further ... then get a amatuer ham operators license and go mess around a little .... change your ouput final to a 1 watter or whatever ... otherwise , if your gonna go legal ( which is what I HIGHLY suggest ) then the max ouput is gonna be set at 750 mw .
Another thing to know ...
When dealing with freq's ... something worth knowing . When you are using a TX/RX setup that is of low freq's ... it has a a greater range . When you use a TX/RX setup that uses a higher freq . say like the 2. megs setups .. they have less range . Now , lets go a bit further into this . The lower freq setups also are less than what you would call "a clean" signal , whereas the higher freq's , are a LOT cleaner signal . So ... here comes the dilema ... what to choose .... better quality signal with less distance , or lesser quality signal , with more distance ?
A lot of folks also forget a LOT of basics ... like keeping your antenna's as high up as possible ( meaning - keep them high , towards the sky - radio signals do NOT bend around objects or go thru them and the most signal does NOT come out the top tip of your TX antenna going upwards( never could figure out why people position their TX's antenna's almost parallel with the ground ) ( mind you , for airplanes and running stick control - this is premium - NOT for ground )
keep your RX antenna as far away from anything that moves ( metal to metal as possible . NEVER lube your TX antenna . Never cut your RX antenna or wrap it either ( this mess's up your reflect ). Try and keep as much RX antenna facing upwards and OUTside the hull as possible .
Also , throw a dobble of CA glue on the very tip of the RX antenna wire .... this stops/slows down the oxidization which DOES occur and makes your receiving signal strength weaker as more oxidization occurs .

Now , if you REALLY want the best ... then wait for an HD radio rather than the current analog setups ( suspect , it won't be that far in the near future [sm=71_71.gif] )

All in all , get yourself the radio gear , that suites what you want in a setup ( bells and whistles ) and of course , makes you look cool , and go with a reputable company ( FTR - Futaba was the first to make mass produced RC radio gear for the public )
Old 09-09-2007, 05:44 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Another range basic - the transmitter aerial is not a gun - the signal comes out of the side, not the end. Point the aerial at your boat, you minimise the sigbal.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:11 PM
ka350kaptain

Just tagging along here. Looking to upgrade the radio that came with my Aquacraft supervee27. Mine had a..... ummm..... minor..... water injestment. I noticed three channel pistol style radios out there. Any need for a third channel in a nitro boat setup? Or sailboat? I would think the FM models would have a cleaner signal?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:56 AM
magnum57

your control system is probably one of the most important items in this hobby. i had the futaba's and Hitec and some others. the best investment i made is the spektrum DX 3.0 2.4GHz. i dont worry about range, freq, interfearance. other radios. its a awesome radio. i also have the futaba fast system. do your self a favor get a good radio. worth every penny. [8D]