Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to the R/C Scene

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New to the R/C Scene

Old 09-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Anarchy99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the R/C Scene

Hi everyone Im new to the whole R/C scene. Been into boats my whole life and now im a senior in high school taking a research and development class and I'd like to design and build a R/C boat, But really have not much clue to what works and what doesnt. My thoughts are to use either a chainsaw or weedwipper engine, I would be designing and building my own hull and was leaning towards using fiberglass but after looking at the Zippkits Im not really sure whether i want to do balsa wood or fiberglass but I am towards a deep V style hull probably dimensions ranging from 36in to 48 in length and 12in 20in beam. All I really know is I want it to work well, look good, and run fast. Im sure I will have many other questions through out the process of this so anything else you guys think will be important for me to know would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: New to the R/C Scene

Joe Petro's Zippkit's boats have to be one of the best deals in RC boats so by the time that you try to design a boat then buy the wood, you've probably spent more time and money than if you would have gotten one of his kits.
BTW, you don't want balsa for a boat that large, you want lite plywood. You might want to do a little shopping while you can for some pool noodles to use as floatation. I got mine from Dollar General or you can get it from places like Meijer's or Wal-mart. It will be harder to find as the weather up here is starting to cool off this week.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:35 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No weedeater out there will push a boat "fast." My 46" hull does 25mph with a 25cc engine. 46" would probably be the smallest hull size I would want for any weedeater or converted engine.

Use ply not balsa. Any engine would rip balsa in to pieces.

Ryan
Old 09-11-2007, 06:23 AM
Anarchy99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What should I use to coat the ply after its all been assembled
Old 09-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Thinned epoxy.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Two part epoxy and use heat to thin it out as Ron mentioned. Do not dilute it with other solutions, heat works well.

Ryan