Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Harbor Freight's #95641 R/C electric boat

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Harbor Freight's #95641 R/C electric boat

Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 PM
PT109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harbor Freight's #95641 R/C electric boat

Fellow boaters;

Has anyone tried out the Harbor Freight model electric 24" twin motor, R/C model boat lot no.95641? It is priced here in Detroit at $69.99 in their flyer paper and I have 15% off of anything coupon that would bring the price down. I think my grandson at age 12 could have fun with it. Thanks for your input, I am Karl, PT-109
Old 09-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Harbor Freight's #95641 R/C electric boat

This the one your talking about? http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...layItemList.do If so the speed on it not going to be to fast. But with a little tuning you probally can get going alot faster. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Karl, take that same money and hit a local hobby shop around Warren and look for a Zig-Zag Racer or Reef Racer, you and your grandson will both be much happier.
I love Harbor Freight also, they just opened one up here in the `Zoo a couple of months ago but they're not the place to get anything R/C. Cheap tools, yes!
Old 09-13-2007, 06:49 AM
PT109

Thanks Ron, that's what I will do! I bought a Yellow Bee R/C airplane from Harbor Freight and that little plane does pretty good for $30.00. I guess you still get what you pay for.

But, sometimes one gets lucky; about a month ago, while "curbside shopping" here in Warren, I found a discarded Dumas Atlas Van Lines hydroplane kit, complete! It had been started up to the planking stage. I plan on finishing it this winter. The kit calls for a K&B 40 ~ 60 engine; I am wondering if there is a better engine choice years later.

I have my Dumas PT-109 to complete in the meantime.

Happy boating Ron,
Regards, Karl
Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: PT109

Thanks Ron, that's what I will do! I bought a Yellow Bee R/C airplane from Harbor Freight and that little plane does pretty good for $30.00. I guess you still get what you pay for.

But, sometimes one gets lucky; about a month ago, while "curbside shopping" here in Warren, I found a discarded Dumas Atlas Van Lines hydroplane kit, complete! It had been started up to the planking stage. I plan on finishing it this winter. The kit calls for a K&B 40 ~ 60 engine; I am wondering if there is a better engine choice years later.

I have my Dumas PT-109 to complete in the meantime.

Happy boating Ron,
Regards, Karl
If it's the same kit ( Atlas ) I built one prob 30 yrs ago. Has a KB 40. Now a shelf queen. As I remember, they gave you 2 rect. blocks to do the front of the hull. What a pain !!
Old 09-13-2007, 12:12 PM
DUSTINNEWTON

The Harbor Freight Yellow Bee is a great purchase. They are fun little flyers and there are a LOT of posts on message boards about mods and flying and how much fun they are. i have gotten about 3 folks here at work into RC with them, and they have enjoyed them so much that they have gone on to bigger trainers and nitro and all that. It's FAR less painful to crash $30 than $250!!
Old 09-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Glvincent

It's an interesting design and seems like a step up from the standard NQD High Wind type boat, but when I downloaded the manual I noticed two things. Even though it has a speed control, turning is still done with the props (no rudder), so speed will likely drop in the turns. Also, it does not have reverse, which I believe the Reef Racer and Zig Zag do.

The warnings in the manual are rather amusing. Many are reworded power tool warnings, like this one: "Carrying this R/C Electric Racing Boat with your finger on the Power Switch invites accidents."

It is also missing the valid warning I have seen in several Aquacraft manuals - Never swim for a stalled boat! Since there are known drownings from folks attempting this very feat, that is quite an oversight.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The ZZR and RR's don't have reverse in them. With the forward slanting transoms, you wouldn't want it.