Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What type of glue to use

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

What type of glue to use

Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 PM
shishtawoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of glue to use

Oh well I’m building a 7.5 ft scale model of the uss north Carolina, now the issue is I want to build it using 1 hr epoxy but my dad claims wood glue will absorb into the wood and make a stronger bond. Oh and I heard people talking about gorilla glue, has anyone tried that.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: What type of glue to use

you don't want to use gorilla glue, it expands when it dries. that will throw your parts off
Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I would ask this in the scale area since this is the kind of building they do. My preferance would be West Systems epoxy for the hull, while above the deck would be personnal preferance. By heating up the epoxy, it will soak into the wood as well (just a little FYI)
Old 09-14-2007, 12:22 AM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Gee Golly you guys use glue. Shoot i been doing it all wrong then. Man i was wondering why i was going through a bunch of rolls of duct tape.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:28 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Epoxy can be a little hard to handle and messy, but if you add microballoons it helps keep it from running when gluing vertical joints.

I have also used a hot glue gun to tack up parts and then go back with epoxy with the seams flat to help fill them and get away from having to be vertical with it.

An cheap electric staple gun with a power adjustment is nice also to hold parts where they need to be and then add the epoxy to the joints. Adjust the power so the staple doesn't sink into the top of the wood, and gives you something to grip with the pliers to pull them out after the epoxy sets.

Those two methods work good for bow work where tape sometimes is a hassle and doesnt hold good, and there's no room for clamps.

Shrink wrap can also be handy as a "clamp".
Old 09-14-2007, 05:21 AM
Mr.Freeze

ORIGINAL: gamesbeer1

you don't want to use gorilla glue, it expands when it dries. that will throw your parts off
I used gorilla glue for my project without anyproblems. 1 you use it sparingly, and 2 use clamps, I found it to work very well.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:03 AM
LtDoc

shishtawoo,
There are several 'best' glues you could use. Just depends on how much strength is required, how easy it is to use, what you can tolerate (chemicals, allergies, etc.), and which you like using the most. Some glues are more 'difficult' to use than others, clamps, lots of time waiting for it to set, all those kind'a things. Epoxy is probably the most common, and works well in most applications (but I hate the mixing part). It's easy to find, a really important part, at least in my part of the country. Whatever you decide to use, it shouldn't take a trip to the bank to buy it. (I have a reputation at the local banks, they're all shaking their heads "NO" when I walk through the doors...sigh. )
So, if you want to use epoxy, do so. If you want to use some new 'miracle' glue, why not? Another 'biggy' for boats is that it shouldn't be water soluble, or like to 'eat' whatever you're gluing together, but you knew that, right? The 'other' thing to remember is that there will be 'mistakes', so sort of get used to that part and learn to enjoy fixing them (okay, most of them anyway). Have fun...
- 'Doc
Old 09-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I would use CA glue.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:03 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If using CA, remember it prevents curing of epoxy if overcoated.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Ghost in the shell

ORIGINAL: Deathwish

Gee Golly you guys use glue. Shoot i been doing it all wrong then. Man i was wondering why i was going through a bunch of rolls of duct tape.
duct tape is useful, especially when used to make repairs.

pictured is a nice hebradean ferry made by someone from the edinburgh model boat club, and its getting on a bit. originally made with woodglue to hold it together, it now has areas of ductape covered in fg resin, and she still floats.

I think she is getting on for 40 years old
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53943.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	762851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34129.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	762852  
Old 09-14-2007, 05:44 PM
shishtawoo

well sice the boat is going to be so large i just need a very stong glue.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:10 PM
green-boat

I've been using epoxy for 37 years now on my boats and I have used CA also. It all depends on your epoxy and the type of wood that you are using. Slow setting epoxy or thinned epoxy will penatrate into the wood farther than fast setting ones. A more porous wood will let the glue penatrate deeper.

For years I have used 5 Min. epoxy on all kinds of surfaces and woods with no problems, it's all in the surface preparation. I have thinned epoxy to get longer working times when working with large surfaces. Since you plan on building 7.5 foot model, you should plan on fiberglassing the hull. The fiberglassed hull will give you most of your strength.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Ghost in the shell you have a kit or is it scracth buildt. Wonder if you still have the plan's for it. PM me. Maybe we can do a trade of sorts i have the USS Missouri and a few Spanish Gallon's which will be my next project. At the moment i have Three boat's that am workling. LOL i have a spped boat which needs reapaired. A junk boat (parts from a plastic light cover to get my stuck boat's). And my USS Missouri which be done sometime ealry next year. Let me know Ghost.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:12 AM
Ghost in the shell

deathwish, sorry matey i cant help ya there.

Sadly I have nothing scratch built, that hebradean ferry isnt mine, It was posted as a reply to the duct tape post,