Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

ESCs, Mixing and smoke

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

ESCs, Mixing and smoke

Old 09-15-2007, 10:33 AM
cowana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESCs, Mixing and smoke

This is about my RNLI offshore 1/20 Lifeboat I am working on.

It will have 2 700 motors with 2 props. It is a scale model, with lights, fittings and smoke.

It will all run off a 12V 7Ah Lead acid battery.

Previously I was looking at using servos, resistors and switches to slow one motor when cornering.

ORIGINAL: Ghost in the shell

Cowana, as you are using a Futaba 6EXA, an idea-

Put two speed controllers in, one on ch1 the other on ch2, (yes right stick) and go through the settings and engage the ELEVON MIX, I did that with my yamato, then using P-mix, mix in the rudder on ch4. That way you can have smoother turns rather than simply cutting one motor on the turn, it will also enable you to then spin the boat around wthout the need of the bow thruster.

Reversing one motor and running the other motor ahead, combined with a bow thruster input, in theory your boat will be able to move sideways bodily!

your bow thruster can then be placed on CH3.

5 and 6 keep as normal

Ghostie
My LHS had a Navy 600 for sale cheaply, so I got that.

Although it doesn't have reverse, can I still use it with that setup?

ESCs on ch 1 and 2.
Rudder on 4, with a mix.

My original idea was to have the smoke generator controlled by a servo+switch on channel 5.

I would then have an ESC controlling a pump, pumping smoke fluid to the smoke genarator.

I wanted to use the PMix to mix channel 6 (the dial for the ESC), to the throttle, so as well as controlling the smoke through a dial, it would match the throttle.

However, This may not work, as I don't know how it works out if it should use the setting of the dial, or the setting of the (mixed) throttle. Also, I would need the Pmix for the rudder.

If this would be an issue, I could just use a Y cable connecting the smoke to the throttle.

The NEW problem comes if I mix 1 and 2 for the throttle, as neither would reflect the throttle stick fully when turning, although this doesn't really matter.

Also, what happens about reverse, as I one ESC will have reverse and one doesn't? Will that make it go in circles, or could I counteract that with the rudder?

I don't want to have to buy a bow thruster now.

cowana
Old 09-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Ghost in the shell

Default RE: ESCs, Mixing and smoke

its probably better to get a pair of overlander 50s, you may get problems with a forward only esc, having a farward only esc not recomended unless you are racing!!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:22 AM
cowana

I want to get that one, becasue as well as being able to cope with loads of volts, I do also make fast boats.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:06 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I would then have an ESC controlling a pump, pumping smoke fluid to the smoke genarator.
Not quite sure about the logic here. Most smoke generators I have seen dont regulate the smoke by pumping fluid, but by heating the fluid and moving the vapour using a fan. Effectively the element is an oil cooled heating element, and may not react well to being run dry - also regulating the very small amount of oil required could be a problem.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:06 AM
cowana

I have the graupner 12V one - and according to the instructions, there are two ways of running it.

The first, is having the smoke fluid bottle above the level of the heater, so gravity makes the fluid go into the heater.

The other is pumping it into the heater, and having the smoke fluid below the level of the pump.

The heater produces a strong jet, so would not need fanning out of the back.

I have run the heater dry before, but it would not run dry much in this application, as it would still be on at idle.

Andrew
Old 09-16-2007, 09:26 AM
LtDoc

The lack of reverse isn't a biggy. A switching arrangement can be made to change to reverse. Not exactly the least complicated thing in the world to do, but certainly possible. Basically, it would swap the motor leads to the 'other' poles, switch them around. Depending on the current requirements, that's gonna be a couple of big switches! Probably another control channel for the radio too.
Be careful about doing the same polarity switching with a smoke producer! If you switch polarity on most of them it sucks smoke out of the air and changes it back to oil...
- 'Doc

[I think I've had enough coffee, and besides, it's time I get to work. I'm in the right frame of mind for that!]
Old 09-16-2007, 12:58 PM
cowana

I'll watch for that, or put in a diode. The ESC I want to use for the smoke has got reverse.

Is it only possible to set up one programmable mix with the futaba 6EXA?

Is it possible to switch a [link=http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=2360&doy=16m9]toggle switch[/link] with a servo somehow?

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 09-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Ghost in the shell

is this any good?

http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/6exa-manual-v1_1.pdf
Old 09-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

I often operate five switches with a servo...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58524.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	763989  
Old 09-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Ghost in the shell

umi can you put a vid of that thing working please
Old 09-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

ORIGINAL: Ghost in the shell

umi can you put a vid of that thing working please
Buy me a new camera...

That one works on a proportional channel. Each switch is momentary, and will operate a function as the cam hits and holds the button on. When the lights come on, stop moving the slider.