Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Traxxis Villian EX

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Traxxis Villian EX

Old 09-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Capt Phil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxis Villian EX

I am considering purchasing a Villian EX boat. If I use the standard 6 cell 1500 nimh batteries what is the run time? Should I be looking to use a higher strength battery? I have never owned an electric boat before so I want to make sure that I can get eneough run time on the water. Is there a recommended charger to keep me on the water without long charge delays?

Any suggestions on how to set myself up here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 11:30 AM
DUSTINNEWTON

Default RE: Traxxis Villian EX

Definitely go higher than 1500. A 3000 pack will give you about 7-9 minutes at full throttle. You can buy 4500 packs for under $36 each at www.all-battery.com, and they work very well. they are also high quality cells. When I first got my EX, I bought several sets of 3000 Venom brand packs from my LHS. They are great packs as well, and usually around $20. I have a Triton Jr. (by Electrifly) charger and I love it. Get a parallel charging cable as well and you can charge 2 packs at once. I charge the batteries at what they are rated for, i.e. a 4000 pack gets charged at 4 Amps. It's around $80, but well worth it! You will really like the EX, and electric boats in general. They are a LOT of fun! Hope this info helps!
Have fun!
Old 09-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Capt Phil

Thanks for the info. I will definetly look to get the stronger batteries. I am looking forward to having some fun with it.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Capt Phil

I had another question. As the battery discharges while running, will I simply notice the power slowly decrease in order for me to start returning to shore?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 PM
crazy maxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea it will hardly come off plan but it if u run 2 gp3300's it runs atleast 15-20 min
Old 09-25-2007, 03:42 PM
DUSTINNEWTON

You'll get about 7-10 minutes of decent run time with high-quality 4200 packs (depending on throttle usage). Bring it in before it goes off plane so you don't risk it cutting off on you in the middle of the lake.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Capt Phil, I have a Villain EX. I use a pair of 4200 NiMh batteries. I never run full throttle the entire time. You won't either, unless you enter it in an Oval Race.

So, with running it in spurts of full throttle, and spurts of slow cruising, and periods of just letting it sit in the water floating around, I usually have about 30-45 minutes on the water before I have to retrieve it.

As the battery drains down to a point where you absolutely need to return to shore, your boat will have slowed dramatically. Bring it back in. If it conks out, let it sit a minute and then give it throttle again. It will move again, if only briefly. But you can usually nurse it back to shore like this with an almost dead battery.

Here is a video I took onboard my EX:

http://media.putfile.com/Villain-EX-with-Onboard-Camera

You will really enjoy your EX!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Capt Phil

Hey Kmot,
Great video!! Have you done any mods to you EX? Do you hsave any suggestions on where to get a good price on the 4200 mAh battery paks? These are 7.2 volt 6 cell paks correct? I am also in need of a charger. What type of charger do you use? I am thinking of getting 4 battery paks so I can run with 2 and have 2 ready after a motor cool down to run again while I recharge the first 2. How long will it take to charge up two paks? Sorry for all the questions I have never run an electric RC.

I am very excited to get my boat out on the water and have some fun.

Thanks and I appreciate any suggestions you have including any mods I should consider.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Capt Phil, my EX is basically stock with a couple minor improvements.

1) I added water cooling to the motors.

2) I installed different props, from Graupner.

3) I changed battery connectors from the stock Tamiya style to Sermos/Powerpole style.

The difference in performance is from the props and battery connectors and yes they added a slight increase in speed, maybe 1 or 2 mph. The battery connectors increase run time endurance too. Out of the box, the EX is still a great boat!

I buy batteries from all-battery.com because they are good batteries at great prices. You should get a decent battery charger if you plan to charge up 4 batteries before a day of running. Otherwise it will take you a couple days to charge your batt's. If you are going to buy 4200 size batteries, look for a charger that can charge them at 4 amps. This will allow you to charge up the batteries in one hour each. There are several to choose from. Some battery chargers require a seperate power supply. The costs will add up. But if you are going to stay in the hobby, once you have a good charger you will be done with it. And the better chargers protect your expensive batteries from damage unlike some of the cheaper chargers.

I personally use the Triton charger, with a seperate power supply. And yes, the batteries are 6-cell 7.2V each.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Capt Phil

Thanks for the suggestions Kmot. I am really looking forward to some fun on the water.

Great boating to you.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:44 PM
DUSTINNEWTON

Just to clarify on my runtimes, that's at wide open throttle, lots of "jackrabbit" starts and stops, and lots of full speed spin-outs! I wasn't aware that there was a "slower" speed!! ;-)