Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Scratch Boat Powering

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Scratch Boat Powering

Old 10-10-2007, 09:35 PM
macman_84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch Boat Powering

Hey, I am working on a planing vessel with the following characteristics:

LOA = 70"
Beam = 12"
Draft = 2.5 - 3"
Displacement about 50-60lbs
Hull Type: Planing

I am trying to figure out what type and size of motors I should use for my vessel. I am planing on two 2-3" props and I am hoping for the best possible speed without breaking the bank. Would two Graupner Speed 900 or 720 torques be fast enough? What RPMs should I be looking at? Which prop - motor combos? Any advice from someone with experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Bauer66

Default RE: Scratch Boat Powering

I have done this with the size props you mention. You will need High RPM 7 to 10.000 And High Torque Motors. I used Large Pittmans that ran at about 9000 rpm. Find a pair of those and on 12 Volt and you should be Fine. I also might mention I used Rivabo Props and kept bending the Blades.
Good Luck.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:25 AM
macman_84

Default RE: Scratch Boat Powering

Well I saw some prop manufactorers listed a max RPM for their props but not all of them. Your problems with the props might be related to that. Did you end up switching to a different manufactorer that solved this issue? Also what would you consider enough torque? Would the Graupner Speed 700 BB Turbos produce enough?

Then what size of a boat did you use this on? How fast did it end up going? Any severe cavitation problems?