Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

WILL SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
electric is quicker
64.71%
nitro is quicker
35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

WILL SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 AM
nitroorelectric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WILL SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!!

Hi im looking for a miss budweiser nitro boat im in australia and unfortunatly they were taken off the production line, there are only about 4 in Aus. Can some1 help please?? Also can u tell me if i might be better off going to electric i have heard good things, all i really care about is which one is faster??
Old 01-11-2008, 06:15 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: WILL SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!!

Assuming that you are allowed internal combustion where you sail, nitro will be faster. Because you can store a lot more energy for any given weight compared to electric, the run time is likely to be longer as well. Electric is generally simpler, and will probably be cheaper both to set up and run.
These are generalisations, and therefore may only be true for a given value of "true".
Old 01-11-2008, 06:37 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

At this time, the fastest radio control boats are electric outriggers. In the scale or semi-scale boats, electric and nitro are both fast. So, go with which ever you like best.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Diegoboy

Electrics are 100% positively "Quicker" than nitro. It takes nitro some time to get up to speed. That's why they have to throw the boats in the water.
Nitro is, on average, "faster" than electrics. but electrics can be made faster with more $$ invested.
Your Poll asked about "quicker" but later, you asked "faster"

I took a Pro Boat Miss Budweiser hull (nitro), and converted it to electric. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbJrlTEgMLY]Video here[/link]
Keep in mind that as an electric, she was already "quicker" than a stock nitro Miss Bud. I'd like to see a nitro take off from a dead stop like mine!

With 12 cells (EP4200) a SuperVee27 ESC, and an Ammo Brushless motor, I got her to be "Faster" than a stock nitro Miss Bud.
The nitro version claims 30mph stock. people that run nitro here locally, have confirmed this speed. As you can see, My electric (which is quicker) was also Faster at 37.2mph.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:04 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Electric peope have no idea of cubic inches. The around the world standard of racing.

So to say electric is quicker, means nothing.

If both types were allowed the same bare boat. Then allowed only the same amount of......BTU's........that would make for a realistic contest.

Right now we are "Arm Chair" racing.

Rich
Old 01-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Diegoboy

Take the same two hulls. make one nitro, make one electric. Put them in the water at a dead stop. Then take off!
My money will always be on the electric. I go to the nitro races with the district 12 boys. I questioned why they "throw" the boat in the water with the throttle wide open. I have already stated the answer.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:10 PM
goldendesign04

Ive run nitro for about 4 years in helis an about a year in boating an am in the process of repowering my boats in all brushless. My reasons for this may be something to consider;
1. Maintence, nitros require meticulous (spelling) care an handling, if your a new boater this can be tedious at best

2. Tuning, a nitro engine runs night an day differently based on a myriad of situations; i.e. temperature,humidity, just cause it can....
requiring you to be pretty adept to tuning any motor before you can find the "sweet spot" or heck just get it to run

3. An area you can get dirty, I live in a shoeboxed size apartment much smaller than my previous house an no longer have an area I can properly clean,maintain, an lube my motors without smelling up the whole place (infuriates the wife)

4. Plethora of proper engine tools, greases, cleaners, additives, fuel storage, glow plugs, starters an many more "nitro" bits an pieces

Now let me say these are not negatives, just needed when you run nitro

Conversley electric motor running has things needed also;

1. Proper battery charger and balancers, maintaining your batteries is just as important as after run in a nitro block

2. When your battery packs are done, essentialy your done

3. Boy do you need to know some math, maybe easy for some but my last algebra test was many moons ago

In my limited usage of brushless/lipo in my boats Id say the whole shot like Diegoboy was saying is in fact true. But put two SV27s both on plan an full out the differences will boil down to driver an running gear setups solely.
But put a big block like a .45 an say a serious NEU motor with some juicy lipos in a race, Id say anybodies guess as to who would win
Boy Ive rambled on a tad bit must be the beer...
In conclusion if you have enough money an know how you can make either "fast"
Just depends on what floats your boat
Thank you for your time an hope this claifies some, but probably just muddied the water.
ALL RIGHT ALL RIGHT enough cliches!
-Wayne
Old 01-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Diegoboy

Well said!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:50 AM
Harald1966

ORIGINAL: Diegoboy

Take the same two hulls. make one nitro, make one electric. Put them in the water at a dead stop. Then take off!
My money will always be on the electric. I go to the nitro races with the district 12 boys. I questioned why they "throw" the boat in the water with the throttle wide open. I have already stated the answer.
Why are you so interested in DEAD STOP? As far as I know there is no competitions in DEAD STOP.
I agree that electric is faster if you have enough $$$$$$$$

Some electric boats are not good at all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoXXI...eature=related
Old 01-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm surprised that someone hasn't jumped in on this one yet. Diegoboy, the reason why the boats are tossed into the water is not because of the powerplant but the propeller. Lifting props and even some non-lifting props cavitate on launch. Giving the boat a little toss helps to get them going.
Ask those at the races why they toss them. I toss all of my boats out of force of habit. Get hosed down a few times launching a buddies .80 powered mono has a tendancy to do that to you.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
dirtysouth31

here i am too save the day the question in the poll "which is quicker electric or nitro" ELECTRIC hands down is quicker[X(] might be a surprise to some but this is an ongoing debate or argument for years between the fe guys and nitro..one side against the other...i have a 45 roadrunner with a cmb gold head 45 with which i got first place in 40 hydro in district 12 this past year..i also have a renegade rigger thats electric which weighs less than my t.v remote...that being said diegoboy is gonna post or already has by the time i finish this post and you will clearly see how fast the electric takes off from a start..electric motor dont have to warm up to reach full potential rpms unlike nitro motors who needs a few laps to warm up ,hence the "your on the clock"cd before a race..by the time a nitro gets to operating temperture an electric comparable to nitro in rps and kvs the nitro will play catch up and if you have no blow overs its the electric thats gonna win.......we can debate this forever,and it will be,but the originial question was who is quicker,now it has gone to who is faster!!im going for electric..and if you havent seen an electric budweiser blow by you going almost 40,electrified than you really need to see it in person to beleive..and to make it even worse the batteries were not even fully charged
Old 01-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Diegoboy

ORIGINAL: Harald1966
Why are you so interested in DEAD STOP? As far as I know there is no competitions in DEAD STOP.
I agree that electric is faster if you have enough $$$$$$$$
ORIGINAL: Ron Olson
I'm surprised that someone hasn't jumped in on this one yet. Diegoboy, the reason why the boats are tossed into the water is not because of the powerplant but the propeller. Lifting props and even some non-lifting props cavitate on launch. Giving the boat a little toss helps to get them going.
Ask those at the races why they toss them. I toss all of my boats out of force of habit. Get hosed down a few times launching a buddies .80 powered mono has a tendancy to do that to you.
Each and every one of my FE boats can get on plane from a dead stop. I asked a member of District12 that runs both FE & Nitro, why don't they just set the boat in the water, and run. He stated that a nitro motor will easily stall from that kind of start. I have never "thrown" any of my boats in the water to get it to run. I don't thing the full sized equivalents are thrown in the water like that either.

ORIGINAL: Harald1966
Some electric boats are not good at all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoXXI...eature=related
Oh now ya got me... Ya found the secret video all FE boat guys hoped would never surface. A video of a "TOY" boat! Any FM radio alone cost more than that entire boat! If you insist on using that as the example, then... "Ya got me!" In the words of so many on this forum, "This is a Fast Electric Forum" not a Toy Electric forum.

Now let me toss som video your way.
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr_IXlhZ0_s]Here[/link] is a stock "nitro" Pro Boat 1/12 Miss budweiser.

[link=http://www.diegoboy.com/media/bud.wmv]Here[/link] is my (former) "FE" Pro Boat 1/12 Miss budweiser from a dead stop. Notice it's faster than the nitro?

[link=http://www.diegoboy.com/media/SW26.wmv]Here[/link] is my (former) "FE" Pro Boat Shockwave26 Jet from a dead stop.

[link=http://www.diegoboy.com/media/don-renegade.wmv]Here[/link] is Dirty's "FE" Renegade rigger from a dead stop.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Quicksilver

boy o' boy a lot of opinions! This seems to be a question that really isnt answerable without parameters. This would be like asking if a 4 cylinder car is faster than a 6 or Whether a cat is smarter than a dog. Anyway we all know cats are smarter, but it only depends on what you mean by smarter err faster. What's the point?

are we basing this on world record straight line speeds?
acceleration?
power to weight ratio?
average speed of all boats in that class?
speed potential?
cost?
ease of use?
reliability?
all of the above?

In my opinion, both are fast, which can go faster...electric, which is pretty much guaranteed to go "fast"...probably nitro....this could go on forever the more important question which do you prefer, it looks like electric wins.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Yo! Team Green
My Feedback: (1)

I always get surprised at how bitter things get when we start to do this comparison.

Simply stated, both nitro AND electric are great fun!!

I run nitro because nitro is what we run in the racing circles in which I am involved. I have seen (on videos AND in person) some electric boats that were just downright AMAZING. One driven by Brian Buass at a local event was set up with 200 Amps of current capability !!!

As with ANY form of racing or ANY speed-based endeavor, it's mostly about MONEY!! FAST is EXPENSIVE!

The question posted at the beginning of this thread really can't be answered with the amount of info that we have so far. More info is necessary - ie;
How fast is "fast"? What is "fast" compared to "quick" - and which is more important to you?
Are you planning on racing locally in an organized racing group (and what do they run)?
Are you just looking for something to run in the local park (pond size and noise limits)?
How much money do you want to spend?
Are you mechanically inclined (and do you love the sounds and smells of engines the way I do)?
Are you electronically inclined (there is A LOT of technical detail involved in properly setting up a Fast Electric boat)?
How much running time do you want during a day at the pond?
Do you need to worry about the smell of a race boat at the end of the day?
For nitro, you buy a boat/ an engine/ fuel/ starting equipment/ engine care equipment/ cleaners / tools/ etc
For Fast Electric you buy a boat/ a motor/ batteries/ chargers/ speed controls / cleaners/ tools/ etc
The faster you want to go, the more money you will spend on your power source (motor/engine/fuel/batteries).

AFTER all of those points are covered, THEN we could probably give out some good, logical advice. Until then, all we can do is beat up on each other and yell about why green boats are faster than yellow boats or whether riggers are more fun than tunnels.

Long live RC boats - of ALL kinds.
>Thom
Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Quicksilver

^^^well then we can argue which of our posts sounds the least confrontational. [:-] imho my post wins.......so there!
Old 01-25-2008, 02:09 AM
Brikernic

I believe the reason one would throw a nitro is for one reason ....No clutch....prop spinning.....sudden resistance....stall boat. Not the fact that its nitro.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Shockwaver

E-LECT-TRICK Might be alittle more to get set up but at $20.00 plus for a gallon of nitro it wont take long to be glad you did it, I'm going to, plus the right set up with the right boat I think we will be shocking our buddies, not to mention having less hassles running... Are you with me