Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any one in New York? Where do u run your boat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Any one in New York? Where do u run your boat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 12:28 AM
nmtr13
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one in New York? Where do u run your boat?

I want to get a boat but dont know where to run it...
Old 04-24-2003, 05:12 AM
NemisusDM
My Feedback: (3)

Default Boats in NYC

Hey nmtr13,
I've been in the same predicament as you. Ive been kicked out of almost every city park with a pond with my air boat. They don't seem to like big powered boats but, I've had great success with a sailboat. I use the TT Victoria Yacht which is a great introductory sail boat with plenty of hop-ups available. I sail at Central park and just about any city park with a pond. I've even used it on Rye Playland's lagoon with choppy water and a good gust going. I've had to resort to going up to Seven Lakes Drive for my powered boats but, I'm up there pretty often anyway so it's no big deal or at a lagoon (City Island, Rockaway area) . You may have luck with a small electric boat in the city ponds but, a big gas boat will call more attention than you may like in the city. Only other option that I can come up with is get yourself a large Deep-V boat and use it at the beach or a nearby lagoon....

Good luck :drowning:
Old 04-24-2003, 02:54 PM
nmtr13
My Feedback: (6)

Yea, On a nice day theirs a bunch of sailboats in central park. I was gonna get a deep vee and run it in salt water but if something happens I cant get to the boat. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:39 PM
gene375

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im from ther upstate area around athens/catskill..i run on the river.. difficult with the current, but overall a good place...
Old 05-14-2003, 07:38 PM
pilotError
My Feedback: (2)

Default North Pond

A bunch of the LI guys run at North Pond. North Pond is about 20 minutes from you, Southern State East to Exit 19N (peninsula blvd). The pond is located off the west bound entrance ramp to the southern state parkway. So you have to get on peninsula (North toward hempstead), do a U-Turn and go about halfway down the entrance ramp then pull onto the grass.

On the weekends, you'll usually see about 4 or 5 cars parked on the grass. You need a permit to run (Nassau County really sucks with RC). The local club there is LIMBA (Long Island Model Boat Association).

Good luck,

Mike...
Old 05-16-2003, 09:38 AM
AJT

I have a VICTORIA live steam yacht. I usually run on the river or local ponds. Upstate KINGSTON N.Y. on the Hudson.

AJT
Old 05-16-2003, 11:08 AM
AJT

Just wondering if there are any other live steam boaters in the upstate N.Y. area
Old 05-27-2003, 02:18 AM
hifonixs

besides north pond i also run at artist lake in middle island exit 62 off the l.i.e. also belmont park . to run in nassua it costs abot $80 a year were in suffoulk it is free!!!!! hifonixs on aol instant messanger
Old 06-01-2003, 03:07 PM
mercthunder

Im in Staten Island and there are a few ponds that I run on here but if you want a nice open place you have to go to New Jersey. In Sayreville there are two man made lakes that are strictly for RC Boats. One is for electrics the other is for nitro and gas. Steve
Old 06-01-2003, 03:48 PM
Pagemaster

In Sayreville there are two man made lakes that are strictly for RC Boats. One is for electrics the other is for nitro and gas.
Thats great! How big are these r/c boat only ponds? I wish we had something like that around here

NemisusDM, get an electric and then no one can complain! No noise, no pollution! Or better yet convert the air boat to electric.

Steven Vaccaro
www.OffshoreElectrics.com
Old 06-01-2003, 04:29 PM
mercthunder

Steven, These lakes are both pretty big. Ill be going out there this week so Ill email or post some pictures of these lakes. From what I know after talking to the local racers a few years back, they hold sanctioned events there. I will see what other info I can find out. Ive been out of boating for a few years and just started getting back into it. On Staten Island theres a few ponds that my friend and I used to run on. He ran a .67 cat and I was running both my .45 riggers on and we had plenty of room to open them up. The only downside was that these pond were in the woods so you had about a quarter mile of walking to do. As far as Sayreville these ponds were specifically built for our boats with access on every side. Steve
Old 06-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Pagemaster

Thanks for the info Steve, we have some really nice man made ponds around MA, but they are all lined with rock edges. My boats sometimes seem to have a mind of their own, so I get nervous running on them.

Steven Vaccaro
Old 06-01-2003, 05:04 PM
mercthunder

Steven, the ones by me all have sand edges not rock it kinda gives a false sence of security especially when you only think of it as hitty sand. Then at the last minute tou need a new driveshaft or a prop. But it beats hitting rocks. Steve
What kind of boat are you running?
Old 06-01-2003, 05:10 PM
Pagemaster

Steve, you wont like my stuff, all Fast Electric. Check out my site. This is my new baby, if I ever finish it.

Twin 20cell each electric motors. Running weight around 13 pounds.

Steven Vaccaro
Old 06-01-2003, 05:14 PM
mercthunder

I like fast electric I never owned one but I was thinking about getting one. I like your site its pretty cool.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Pagemaster

Steve, now that I'm selling the Cen Nitro trucks and Nitro boats I have a better appreciation of Nitro/Internal combustion engines.

Thanks for the complement on the site. Some day might even buy a Shock Wave
Old 06-01-2003, 09:50 PM
mercthunder

Steven, you should carry some of those big offshore nitro boats. I would like to talk with you about some of your boat designs. Is there a # you can email me with so we can talk. Steve
Old 06-19-2005, 06:39 PM
NemisusDM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Any one in New York? Where do u run your boat?

Hello,
Well things have changed since I last posted. I am in the banned boat, boat. I've gotten into electric P Sport Hydro and trying to map my available run sites. I'll visit some of the area clubs and see.......