Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

1/12 Miss Bud, good for newbie??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

1/12 Miss Bud, good for newbie??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 01:51 AM
gobygoby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/12 Miss Bud, good for newbie??

I am thinking about getting into the hobby. I have done some searching for a boat that I like. after searching and deciding purely based on looks, I like the Miss budweiser nitro boat. I have done a little research and found that , it might need some conserdable tweaking ( boat taking on water, shaft( or something) breaking, doesnt turn very good.....Would this be a good boat for me. the price range isnt bad for what I want to spend, but I dont want to dump a load of money into this thing. I wish when they said RTR, they ment it. anyway, I would like some suggestions on that boat or others that might be better that look similar,

Thanks
goby
Old 04-18-2003, 03:28 AM
fryfrog
My Feedback: (1)

it doesn't look great, and it sure isn't anything special... but i've been pretty happy with my jet stream 1000. i had the original jet stream, but it was VERY poorly designed (i actually sunk it, total loss).

the jet stream 1000 however they appeared to get pretty good. its a one piece hull with foam floatation built in, the motor and radio mounts are built in. it uses rubber isolation things for the engine and has a pretty big .32 marine engine. it even runs pretty fast for a kinda crappy boat, and its also fairly long and i would say pretty cheap

of course, there are probably much better boats out there... and i just got a large expensive one that i can't wait to go run this weekend
Old 04-18-2003, 03:30 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

One thing I've learned with this hobby after coming back to it from a 15 year break, is that to enjoy your boats means you're going to have to spend time with it.

Its always going to need some form of attention. Clean up, before & after maintenance etc...

Part of that is also making something good, a little better by polishing up the rough edges such as the boat taking on a little water. No big deal, just a minor fix. To most of us in the hobby, thats where the real fun lies & when you can get in dependable runs the next day because of it, thats what makes it worth while.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:38 AM
fryfrog

i should also say this, i believe if you have the money you should go for the boat you really want and get a good quality one. i think that if i had just gone with the first route, i would have saved a LOT of money.

i bought perhaps 2 kits in parts to keep my original jet stream running (the badly designed one) minus the engine and radio, only to have that sink. so there i was out about $400 cause i lost the reciever/servos/everything and the transmitter sucked anyway. the jet stream 1000, while being a much better boat i have replaced the hull once already, though looking back i probably did not need to.

i just got a nice long, fiberglass boat for $1000... and if i had done that originally i probably would have saved about that much money in other boats and parts.

next is building my own boat from almost scratch
Old 04-18-2003, 01:05 PM
kevinthoele

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Miss Bud worth it?

To answer your question...Yes...I ran mine stock for over 80 runs before I did the prop and shaft mods. Run 20 to 30% nitro. The only maintenance item other than lubing the shaft each time out is that the plastic props do break so have several in your box.

Kevin
Old 04-18-2003, 03:34 PM
gobygoby

thanks for all the replys. I understand that things do take a little work and time to get them going good. I am willing to make the bud boat shine, the only thing I am worried about is if I spend the initial $300 for the boat, I dont want to put another $300 into to make it totally safe. is all the upgrading I have seen done on these boards only minor expenses. I saw that an auto-bailor is like $15. I just dont have a ton of money to dump into a boat, most of my extra money goes into my first hobby, saltwater reef tank. still considering getting a boat though. How about turning , is it really that bad for the bud boat? it only goes to the right and barely turns to the left. what are the basic mods done to make this boat an excellent speedster?

Thanks
Goby
Old 04-18-2003, 05:29 PM
fryfrog

i would guess that the not very good turning is a combination of a couple of things, two of the important ones being the small amount of hull that is actually wet and the torque from the engine. are you talking about the hydro (its got a main body and 2 sponsons at the front) or the tunnel hull (which has 2 sponsoons that run the lenght of the whole body and the main body doesn't really touch the water at all)?

just because one "miss bud" model has problems, doesn't mean they all do. after all, its mostly just the paint/decal scheme that makes it a miss bud. look around and see what you can find.

a deep v probably makes a better first time hull though, unless the water you have access to is almost always perfectly flat. besides the cat and the deep v, most of the fast boats you will find will definatly NOT like riding on rough water
Old 04-18-2003, 05:34 PM
gobygoby

I am talking about the hydroplane model. if you do a search you will find that the Miss buds only turn well to the right. its just the way they are made. any one have a decent priced hydro for sale?

Goby
Old 04-19-2003, 09:31 PM
kevinthoele

Default Turning the Miss Bud

Guys,

This is the way they are made. Racing with right turns. The full scales only make left turns.

They are designed as an inexpensive racer and do that very well and with a few mods under $ 100 can be made to go 10mph faster.

Kevin
Old 05-23-2003, 08:17 PM
pilothyer

Kevin, If you are talking about the Pro Boat Miss Budweiser, I would be very interested in the mods you refered to to gain 10 mph, also any mods for the prop and shaft as well as mods to reduce the water that seems to flow into the hull as well as the radio box...........any other suggestions you may have would be most appreciated...thanks in advance
Old 05-24-2003, 01:33 PM
dirt dummy

I had the bud boat and for the money I think you could do better. The plastic hull cracks, The motor is lame, And it leaks. I have been waiting 5 months for a new hull from horizion.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:31 AM
cruzmissile

I don't know which bud your talking about but the 1/12 scale is made of a single piece fiberglass hull, the only way it could leak is if you have crashed it into something or not properly sealed all spots for water to enter. It's also another thing if the hull came cracked, then you should of got it replaced for a new one. The Miss Bud makes extremely sharp right turns because of it's design. It has a stainless steel turn fin on the right sponson. The turn fin is off set to the right to allow it to make right turns for circuit racing. It's a racing boat, not an all around zig zag around the lake like those V-hull types. I'm sure if you took off the turn fin, it would go left, but defeats the purpose of it's design for oval racing. I wouldn't consider it a beginners boat but it is a good one for circuit racing with your buddies.
So like I said earlier, it has the left turning radias of a cruise liner, but a right turning radius of an indy car.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:50 AM
dirt dummy

Originally posted by cruzmissile
I don't know which bud your talking about but the 1/12 scale is made of a single piece fiberglass hull, the only way it could leak is if you have crashed it into something or not properly sealed all spots for water to enter. It's also another thing if the hull came cracked, then you should of got it replaced for a new one. The Miss Bud makes extremely sharp right turns because of it's design. It has a stainless steel turn fin on the right sponson. The turn fin is off set to the right to allow it to make right turns for circuit racing. It's a racing boat, not an all around zig zag around the lake like those V-hull types. I'm sure if you took off the turn fin, it would go left, but defeats the purpose of it's design for oval racing. I wouldn't consider it a beginners boat but it is a good one for circuit racing with your buddies.
So like I said earlier, it has the left turning radias of a cruise liner, but a right turning radius of an indy car.
Take a close look the top is plastic only the bottom is fiberglass. The crack on mine is right at the stuffing box. Talking to someone I know at horizion, Its not the only one with that problem. The control rod boots are real cheap and take in water. They drilled a hole in the transom for the water pick up instead of using a fitting. I am not new to boats. I have 3 riggers, 1 cat and a tunnel. I bought the miss bud to have fun, But it turned out to be more work than my twin .90 eagle rigger.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:31 PM
Nitro Viper GT

i have a kyosho nitro viper gt and im very hapy with it. if i were you thats what i'd get. it alot of fun and easy to maintain. its only about 300 dollars for everything. it comes in a kit but its really easy to maintain. this is a great boat for beginners. did i mention that this was my first nitro rc toy?
Old 06-25-2003, 03:15 PM
shaggy

Just received my 1/12 scale ProBoat Miss Budweiser and I was very impressed with it for only being $300!. The entire hull is fiberglass just to set the record straight. I am going to do a few mods to it to make sure it is watertight before I run it. But other than that, this should be a fun little boat to add to my collection.

Kevin,

Could you explain the mods you menmtioned to get an extra 10 mph? I would be very interested.

brooks
Old 06-25-2003, 07:37 PM
kevinthoele

Default Mods

Brooks,

The mods come from a company called Roostertailz. The contact name is Curtis Tell him I sent you. Number is 806-741-1755

The kit for the boat consists of a flex shaft, copper prop, speed nut antenna tube to mount to boat and a water outlet. This combo can let you run 40% nitro and the boat is a real performer.

One thing that will happen is that the stuffing tube will come unglued from the bottom of the boat. When this happens I glued it back with Aeropoxy from BVM, this is a 24 hour cure glue that will not let go again. We use it on our jets.

I had over 200 runs on mine until a collision racing ended the boats life and put it 100 feet under at the bottom.

Kevin
Old 06-26-2003, 10:46 AM
Radamus

There should be a age group listed on the box of the miss bud~ like k-12~ this is a TOY not a RC boat~
Playskool could have done a better job building the boat~ but then again, a few hundred bucks don't buy much anymore~
Old 06-27-2003, 09:26 AM
dirt dummy

Originally posted by Radamus
There should be a age group listed on the box of the miss bud~ like k-12~ this is a TOY not a RC boat~
Playskool could have done a better job building the boat~ but then again, a few hundred bucks don't buy much anymore~
Old 03-09-2004, 07:18 PM
speeedfreek

Default RE: Turning the Miss Bud

what kinda mods can i do for less then 100.00 bucks for miss bud 1/12
i refiberglassed the inside hull was just gona drop 1 horse megtech marine nitro with brass prop.
thanks,mike