Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

how is a rooster tail formed?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

how is a rooster tail formed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:49 AM
RC_Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how is a rooster tail formed?

How is a rooster tail formed? Does it depend on the prop or the depth of the strut?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:48 AM
Dan S

Default RE: how is a rooster tail formed?

Depth and angle.

Dan
Old 02-10-2008, 02:56 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

to expand on Dan's reply, the roostertail is water thrown up by the prop blades as they spin out of the water. As already stated, the depth and thrust angle on the prop will affect how much of a tail you get. Beyond this, RPM as well as blade shape and modifications also have an affect on te tail. One thing to remember is that too high of tail means you are not getting all the thrust you could be
Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 PM
RC_Bob

Could that cause cavitation?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:16 PM
boatman1

Cavitation happens when the rpm of the prop is greater than the flow of water
into the prop creating a air pocket around the prop & not letting water into the blades
to provide thrust

a rooster tail is just water existing the rear of the prop moving at high speed hitting slow
or none moving water & breaking the surface tension of the water & spraying in the air

This is about as techy as i can get on this subject [8D]

Hope this helps
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 PM
wave waker

[sm=idea.gif]it is inborn for the rooster but not sure for the hen..just messing around..

Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some people forget that Cavatitation and or Ventalation can cause a frothy prop wash.

My overpowered 19' V hull can do either if I want to. I can Cavatate in 2 seconds from a dead stop. The prop accelerates so fast that the water can not flow to the prop fast enough. The water pressure drop is so low at the props surface, that the water starts to create air bubbles & then the prop loses all bite.
I can also Ventilate the prop at maximum speed by trimming the sterndrive up to much. NICE ROOSTER TAIL. Boat is actually running slower by GPS. Engine goes into revolution limiter.

Rich
Old 02-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: cyclops2

Some people forget that Cavatitation and or Ventalation can cause a frothy prop wash.

My overpowered 19' V hull can do either if I want to. I can Cavatate in 2 seconds from a dead stop. The prop accelerates so fast that the water can not flow to the prop fast enough. The water pressure drop is so low at the props surface, that the water starts to create air bubbles & then the prop loses all bite.
I can also Ventilate the prop at maximum speed by trimming the sterndrive up to much. NICE ROOSTER TAIL. Boat is actually running slower by GPS. Engine goes into revolution limiter.

Rich

Yeah, but your 'overpowered' v hull is most likely running a prop that would have exhaust gasses passing through it. Not sure you can compare here.

Typically speaking, the lower the rooster tail, the faster the speed. This is true for both fullscale & models. Don't get me wrong, its part of running boats that I enjoy. To add to what cyclops2 is saying, I have a friend who was running a large mono. Roost was almost straight up & long. Looked cool, but no speed. A few adjustments & prop changes had him going a bit better.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Doubledog

ORIGINAL: cyclops2

Rich

Yeah, but your 'overpowered' v hull is most likely running a prop that would have exhaust gasses passing through it. Not sure you can compare here.
Technically speaking, the exhaust gas would be going through the center of the prop, so they should have little to no effect on the water pressure reduction that's causing the cavitation. It's also possible that the boat has transom, rather than through the prop, exhaust.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:29 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love a transom exhaust !! Except when I have people aboard and we are talking all over the boat.

Mine is a 220 HP sterndrive. Underwater prop exhaust. [:'(]

Rich
Old 02-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Kelly Miller

It refers to big boats but download this http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc53569/prop_001.htm It is everything you wanted to know about propellers...well almost

Kelly
Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Kelly Miller

This is an very detailed article that i would suggest also http://www.simplicity-marine.com/surfprop.htm I am sorrry it really won't say a lot about rootertails but it will sure explain the difference between cavitation and venalation as well as a lot of other stuff. propbably one of the best propeller information (surface drive) I have seen.

Kelly