Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

having a hobby and bringing up a family dont mix.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

having a hobby and bringing up a family dont mix.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 11:17 PM
old guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having a hobby and bringing up a family dont mix.

I Know
that having a hobby and bringing up a family don't mix. BUT there has to be decent prices out there... if any of you know where they are let me know.
all I want are props and ( dog bones )drive systems for my 48 in PT boat
I guess I,m getting old

Take care

Old Guy
Old 04-19-2003, 07:33 PM
crrcboatz
My Feedback: (34)

Hey,
Families and this hobby DOES mix. Raised 2 boys and one raced with me until he got his driver license. Using tools, competing or just the quality time together cannot be any better!!
Now, parts for the Pt boat, is the boat a hard shaft system or flex shaft system?? What size props, and dog bone as you called it do you need? What is the power, ie electric or gas engine for your boat? HOw big is the boat, age, how will you use it?
Let some of us help but we need more info. Also, there are several boat sites to go to for more help if we don't get it done here. Look forward to hearing from you.

Curt
Old 04-19-2003, 11:54 PM
old guy

I guess you are right lolll
Have'nt even finished my first boat and the wife has me building one for her and the girls. O well ... What I'm looking for are props that will drive a deep V hull (PT 109 Boat)48 inches long weight of approx 10 pounds. I would like to go straight drive to eliminate gears but will need one set anyways for one reverse prop. I got two Chameleon 2 pro electric motors for this boat and a Novak Super Rooster ESC. the shafts are home made 12 inches longue with 3 ball bearing assemblys mounted in them for less resistences. My proplem is finding props and would like scale but would deal with normal race props at 1.75 diameter 3 blades. I dont want outstanding speed but good performance. and prices that are down to earth .. $200 US for a drive system is out to lunch even my real boat coast me less for props

thanks for answering
old guy getting older lollllllllllllll
Old 04-20-2003, 09:40 AM
WeLaserCut

Default Scale props

Hey Old Guy,
A little bit of friendly advice for you.
Forget running with scale props. They just do not work on models.
If you want scale looks for when the boat is on display, have a second set of props just for that.
The Chameleon motors will not handle a very big prop if you run them direct. Certainly not anywhere near scale size anyway.
I would suggest Octura X432's, or X435's (right and left) for your running props. Anything more and you will burn up your speed control or motors. 10 Lbs is a lot of boat to push through the water for direct drive .05 style motors.
You may want to look at going to a gear system if you stay with those motors.
I know it seems expensive, but doing it right the first time will be a lot less money than having to replace worn out parts later down the road. I know from experience.

Feel free to reply back if you have any questions.

Peter
Old 04-28-2003, 04:18 PM
OOde
My Feedback: (2)

Default I dunno

I think it can work, you just have to adjust your expatations and focuse a bit. Yesterday spend a great afternoon with my 3 and 6, , and while the boats don't quite look the same as when we started, gives us somthing to work on together during the week. The BigBlue ((34") flipped, and lost a gear cover and the drive system needs remounting, but the electronics are OK, WildJumper( 24") has a little worse cracked hull, some fried brushes and more of a nose dent, and StandardDeviation (RCLaser) has a few prop marks on the deck, But a good time by all. Only one man overboard drill, and all the equipmnet came home with us. It'll be a few years before I can start my own racing team, but for now, I'd rather Hang with my current team.

Granted, trying to sail your own boat, and attend to 2 battery powered boats, and keep safe, takes a quick mind with good time slicing, but hey, if it was easy, would it be fun????]]

Later
Old 04-29-2003, 05:41 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

I'm very happy for you and your family.

I have a little girl on the way & have high expectations for her in the r/c world

Oh, I remember back in the day (15 years ago) when I flew planes & ran my nitro boats. My youngest nephew was 4-6 years old & I would take him to the flying field with me. We'd hook up the buddy cord & with a lot of patience on both our parts, he was able to fly the pattern pretty well.

The other fond memory was when I bought my first set of golf clubs. I'd been given a good used set that I learned with & was made to promise that I'd never sell or abuse them.

So on with the story, After saving for a whole summer, I bought my first set & couldn't figure out what to do with the others till it hit me..... I'll have them shortened down for my nephew & we'll start going to the Par 3. Talk about fun !

He's now 16, not so much into r/c but he has a nice set of clubs he got for the holidays and from what I hear, he's pretty good.

Pardon me while I let the water carry me away down memory lane