Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

ESC Selection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:09 AM
GT2PORSCHE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC Selection?

Hello everyone,

I have a question on whether using an ESC is posible for a real scale pontoon ? The pontoon will run two electric motors rated at 12V @ 45A each. I will use 12V batteries for each motor, similiar to a car battery. Yet, is this possible?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:13 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: ESC Selection?

Yes. Just find an ESC with a sufficiently generous rating. ESCs are intended to plug into a receiver, but can be controlled just as well with a servo tester if both you and the ESC are in the same hull.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:12 AM
LtDoc

GT2PORSCHE,
Sure, and more than just one way of doing that.
The first thing to know is what is the current and voltage requirements of the motors. Second is will the thing (things) fit? And third, can you afford it/them?
Then it's just a matter of cramming all that stuff into the hull(s). Sound simple? Well, mostly... The hard part(s) is the affording thingy and then the 'cramming'.
- 'Doc
Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 PM
GT2PORSCHE

Hey guys,

Thanks for the respond, I guess money isn't an issue when considering the appropriate ESCs. I certainly will use a reciever and transmitter to control the pontoon. No one will physically be on the pontoon, it will be used for research purposes. Do you know of any ESCs that can withstand a single 12V battery @ 45A? Thanks.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:02 PM
LtDoc

I think you may be approaching this from the wrong direction, or, I'm misunderstanding about the 12 volts and 45 amp thing. An ESC is rated by the voltage it can handle and the amount of current drawn through it by the motor. The size of the battery really doesn't matter as long as it's the right voltage. Even if the battery is capable of supplying 100 amps, and the motor only draws 10 amps, the only thing going through the ESC is the 10 amps the motor is drawing. The ESC should be rated for at least 10 amps plus a safety margin (technical term is "fudge factor" ), so maybe something like 15 amps. The bigger that 'fudge factor' (within rea$on!) the safer you are, not as likely to burn up the ESC. The ESC being rated for 300% of the maximum current draw of the motor certainly won't hurt anything, but economically it's a bit 'much'.
Make sense?
- 'Doc
Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 AM
GT2PORSCHE

Sounds right....the ESC that I'm looking for should be able to handle a 12V battery while being able to support 45 Amps of current being drawn from it due to the motor. Considering this, all I would need is an ESC capable of handling a 12V battery while being able to support a 45A + "fudge factor" Load. Thanks for your help Doc.

- GT2Porsche
Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 AM
LtDoc

A couple of other things to think about are that 'reverse' is nice to have, and 'brakes' on a boat are worthless. Reverse can get you out of those, "Now why did I do that!?", thingys, some of them anyway. A braking feature isn't the best reason to decline a particular ESC if it fits your needs otherwise. Going to reverse is the best brake a typical boat has.
- 'Doc

(I just knew you couldn't live without knowing that stuff. Right??)
Old 02-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

So bascally you want to do something like this.

http://www.stage6.com/user/ic3ant/vi...thbusters-6x01