Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Charging NiMH Batteries

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Charging NiMH Batteries

Old 05-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Bilge_Snipe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging NiMH Batteries

If you install NiMH batteries in your transmitter and receiver, can you use your standard wall NiCD charger to charge them? Or will you fry your equipment?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:38 PM
pompebled

Default RE: Charging NiMH Batteries

If your wall charger puts out something like 1/10 to 1/20 C (C is the capacity of the NiMH batteries in Amp) it's no problem.

Just keep in mind that NiMH have a rather high rate of self discharge, don't expect your transmitter to function after spending weeks on the shelf.

I recharge my transmitter after a week or two to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Regards, Jan.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:19 PM
dannyual777

pompebled is absolutely correct. I've been using the wall charger that came with my wife's Tower Hobbies (Futaba) 6-ch airplane radio. Her radio has nicads but I use nimh in both of my Airtronics radios (MX-3, MX-3S) and the charger plugs right in and charges the cells just fine. If I don't use the radios within a couple of days, I'll charge the batteries again before going to the lake.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Bilge_Snipe

Thanks guys for posting and for the information. I'm thinking of getting a cheap 2 channel "Hitec Ranger" for a sailboat. Take care and smooth sailing.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Sudden Silence

I use Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries in my Hitec Eclipse, I charge them with the wall wart charger that came with the radio. The Eneloop batteries don't have the self discharge problem regular NiMH batteries have and come charged. I got them at Circuit City, but have seen them on the internet since then.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Bilge_Snipe

Thanks for the tip Sudden Silence, I was hoping Circuit City would have the batteries in my local store but I wasn't that luck. The good thing is that you can order them on-line. Take care and good sailing to you.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:56 PM
dannyual777

ORIGINAL: Sudden Silence

I use Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries in my Hitec Eclipse, I charge them with the wall wart charger that came with the radio. The Eneloop batteries don't have the self discharge problem regular NiMH batteries have and come charged. I got them at Circuit City, but have seen them on the internet since then.
Forgive me for bragging about the great deal that I got on Enloop batteries ! About a month ago, on another boat forum, I was told that Circuit City carried Enloop batteries. I went there and saw that they had 4-packs for $9.99 but they had 8-packs clearance priced for $7.39 each! Thats right! 8 Enloop batteries for $7.39! I bought eight 8-packs !
Old 06-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Ghost in the shell

the on the wall charger that comes with My Futaba 6EXA is IDENTICAL to the one that I used on my Attack 2ER and now the RTR tx of my B-Square yacht (university club), the EXA has an 8 cell pack, the ER used 1.2v mono-cells or Duracell disposable 1.5v monocells. using the charger on the 1.2v ni-mh and ni-cd monocells, I have had no issues with it at all.

the 2ER also used a cradle for monocells in the RX loom, the chargers 4.8v output also perfectly at home charging the cradle. I have also made a tamiya to pp3 9v connector fly lead so I can charge 10x 1.2v monocells of my 10cell ni-** charger.

As far as I see it, the charger "knows" that something is fitted to it, but cant tell if its mono cells OR a pre made pack