Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Prather Funcruiser won't turn

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Prather Funcruiser won't turn

Old 05-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Dog House

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prather Funcruiser won't turn

Hello, new to boating. Purchased a used Prather funcruiser and it doesn't want to turn very well. The rudder doesn't turn very far in either direction. Do I have a bad servo? Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Dan S

Default RE: Prather Funcruiser won't turn

I believe that the problem is not your servo but the adjustment on your Radio (Transmitter), without knowing exactly what make and model your radio is, it make's it hard to know what features it has.

But, every radio have (should) what they call dual rate, by adjusting the dual rate you change your rudder travel, lots of radios can also adjust how much travel you want per side (end point) etc...

Try your Dual Rate.

Dan.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

I agree, check the radio first. If it does'nt turn very far either way, most likley it is the dual rate control or the end-point-ajustment on the radio. Either one could be causing this. Both should be set accordingly.

Good luck, let us know.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Has it been in the water yet? Yeah, I know that this might be a dumb question but you might find that it doesn't need as much as you think if it hasn't been wet yet.
If it doesn't turn well and you can't go any more with the present setup then the linkage should be hooked up to the furthest hole out on the servo arm and the innermost on the rudder.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Ron said, you will be surprised how little rudder deflection a boat needs to make a turn. A common mistake by inexperienced boaters is to put in to much rudder deflection to the point that the boat is almost uncontrolable. Run it and then decide.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Dog House

Thanks All, Dan you were right. I found the rate control and it turns much better now. Seems to go a little further to port but much better. I had it in the water yesterday and it would hardly turn at all. Had to slow to a stop and hit the gas a few times to get her turned around. Now I can have some fun with it. Thanks All, Dog

PS. If you wonder why I call myself DogHouse? It’s because of the 23' Slickcraft big water fishing boat I purchased four years ago. My wife is still fuming. LOL
Old 05-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Ron Olson

Been there! My wife told me that if I bought another full-sized boat that I'd better be able to live in it!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Dog House

Did you get one big enough? Kidding! Mine has a cuddy so at lest I could sleep in it, and room for the dog. The real dog a Springer.

Does anyone know of any boat clubs around Minneapolis,MN.?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Ron Olson

Nah, all I had at the time was a bass boat. I finallt sold the thing after years of listening to her griping as sonnas I'd be backing it in the driveway after tournaments.
"Did you catch any fish? Did you win any money? Why don't you just sell the thing then!"
I did and as soon as the new owner pulled away with it she said that she missed it already.
I'll let you use your imagination as to what my reply to her was, you'd probably be real close.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

haha, you guys could just dump the wife for a girlfriend and keep the boats.

Works for me!