Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

hmm

Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 PM
supamagician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmm

I drive r/c off-road cars, well somehow, i started looking at boats, then realized that there are some small enough for pools. and then i found some for really cheap like 30-50 bucks. can you put brushlesses in these things? how cheap? what is the fastest boat that i can get rtr that is small for about 50 bucks?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: hmm

You probably need to reset your price point.
$100 would get you several great running boats.
The Zig Zag racer, the Reef Racer(tower hobbies) or the Mini C catamaran or Mini V RTR boats.
This price would get you a basic boat, battery, controller and charger. However you may want a
few extra batteries. [8D]

I have seen the mini v moded for brushless, but it was running pretty hot.... Fast, but the motor was literally hot.
http://searchrc.horizonhobby.com/ind...47&N=5053+8052
Old 06-03-2008, 12:14 PM
supamagician

whats the difference between a zigzag racer and a reef racer? also, could i drop in my 3300 or 5000 nimh batt. packs into these boats?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:24 PM
supamagician

is this boat good? http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VEN%2D1805
Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 PM
supamagician

or this one? http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VEN%2D1800
Old 06-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

I would say the difference between the Zig Zag racer and Reef racer, are the components.
The Zig Zag is all proprietary components specific to the boat.
I have heard that the Reef Racer uses more standard RC servos and such. (easier to mod?)

The venom look like they are not available yet. There is very little info on the pages you linked.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:42 PM
supamagician

sorry here is another link http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXULZ0&P=0
Old 06-05-2008, 08:44 PM
t warne

DO NOT BUY A ZIGZAG RACER!!![sm=52_52.gif]

I have one and I am very disappointed. It was an absolute waste of money. The original one I bought died on it's maiden voyage. I called and explained the problem to Horizon Hobby's customer service. I had to PAY to ship the broken one back so that they could send me a new one.[sm=punching.gif] Anyway... the ZigZag Racer totally sucks barnacles[sm=redface.gif]. It is very slow. The drive line vibrates like crazy and makes a horrible noise. There is no easy way to lube it. The hull takes on water like the Titanic[sm=drowning.gif], through either the rudder or stuffing tube. ( be sure to pull the drain plug after each trip to the lake )

It is really just a horribly overpriced toy. For the money you could probably buy two RC boats from Walmart and be better off.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:59 AM
jdoug

ORIGINAL: t warne

DO NOT BUY A ZIGZAG RACER!!![sm=52_52.gif]

I have one and I am very disappointed. It was an absolute waste of money. The original one I bought died on it's maiden voyage. I called and explained the problem to Horizon Hobby's customer service. I had to PAY to ship the broken one back so that they could send me a new one.[sm=punching.gif] Anyway... the ZigZag Racer totally sucks barnacles[sm=redface.gif]. It is very slow. The drive line vibrates like crazy and makes a horrible noise. There is no easy way to lube it. The hull takes on water like the Titanic[sm=drowning.gif], through either the rudder or stuffing tube. ( be sure to pull the drain plug after each trip to the lake )

It is really just a horribly overpriced toy. For the money you could probably buy two RC boats from Walmart and be better off.

Good luck.

You are way off. While I don't own a ZigZag racer, my brother owns one, and he's had it for over a year now running hump packs and a bigger prop. The thing is fast for its size for being a sub drive boat. It handles really well, but not so good in the rough. It likes to torque over in the air if you don't get right off the throttle. There must be something with yours because once it's like 10 ft. from shore, I can barely hear it. If you were looking to go 30Mph or faster, you bought the wrong boat.

...and any Walmart boat will get outturned and outpaced with the ZigZag.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Hmmm, have one myself. Fun toy. no issues. It is what it is....maybe 10 mph???
Old 06-09-2008, 03:12 PM
t warne

I'm jealous that your brother's ZizZag not only runs, but runs well. Who said anything about 30 mph? I just expected the thing to actually work... silly me.[sm=bananahead.gif]

I still believe that ZizZags are generally junk. I base that on the fact that I have now owned 2 different Zig Zag Racers and both had problems out of the box. Maybe I have just had bad luck?

I still feel the money would be better spent on something else.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Dreamin Hemi

[link=http://www.rcboatmodeler.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=CF752813E43F429494816D69016F2E9B&nm=Site+Features&type=PubPagi&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle+Title&mid=13B2F0D0AFA04476A2ACC02ED28A405F&tier=4&id=B93415214D184E9F97258492290F85BC]ZigZag Review[/link]