Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

HELP im a AM beginning

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

HELP im a AM beginning

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:02 PM
niallb92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP im a AM beginning

I AM NEW TO THE BOATING WORLD AND WAS LOOKING FOR SOME HELP IN MY BID TO MAKE MY OWN RC BOAT. IM NOT SURE WAT MATERIALS I NEED SO IF SUM1 CUD HELP ME I WUD APPRECIATE IT . I HAVE 2 BRUSHLESS MOTORS BUT THATS ALL.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:55 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: HELP im a AM beginning

Maybe be a bit more specific with what you wanna do/build? You need batteries...esc...charger...hull...hardware...supp ort equipment just to name a few.

Please be more specific and I am sure we can help.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:31 AM
niallb92

Thanks for replying, I was hoping to build for my first project an electrical boat . Could I make the hull from wood or can I buy some sort of mold to make one.Sorry that my idea is not gas powered HOPEFULLY I MIGHT CATCH UP WITH YOU SOME DAY.I was looking on ebay for radio control(transmitter receiver servos batteries etc.) kits but they all are quite expensive $75 should I pay for these or could I get them cheaper.I am not a stingy **** with money but just didnt want to pay so much if I didnt have to.
Thanks niall
Old 06-12-2008, 07:24 AM
LtDoc

Niall,
Welcome to the world of confusion, aggravation, head scratching and fun, where your imagination and wallet are the only limitations on creativity!
Do welcomes like that leave you feeling sort of 'queasy' like it does me? Well, it's out of the way now so onward!

Hulls. A hull has to be large enough to hold all the stuff that needs to be inside of it. Strong enough so that it doesn't break under all of that stuff. And it shouldn't dissolve in water. After that, it can be made from anything you happen to have or can get your hands on. Wood will work just fine. (So will plastic, metal, or glass, if you are comfortable working with any of them.) Some kinds of wood really like water, some don't (water goes through it like corn through a goose, not good). For those types of wood, sealing it with something is a good idea... not really a bad idea to seal all types of wood, really. What do you seal it with? Almost anything that will keep water away from it and doesn't 'eat' wood, doesn't wear off quickly, doesn't cost a fortune, and doesn't like to 'eat' fingers too.
What about letting things through the hull that need to go through the hull, like a drive shaft? No problem (sort of), just make that thing going through the hull does so in a water tight manner. "Do what?" Yeah, sounds odd but certainly not impossible. It's typically called a 'stuffing box' and even those 'full sized' boats use them, they're just bigger than on an R/C boat. A tube filled with oil or grease with the drive shaft running through it works pretty good. Where it goes through the hull needs to be fairly strong and sealed well. Same sort of thingy works with rudder shafts too.
Just like on the big boats, R/C boats usually end up with a little bit of water in them. The idea is to keep that water to a small amount and to get it out of there before it gets to be too much. You can do that just like the big boats too. Dip it out with a bailer, pump it out, soak it up with a sponge/paper towel, use a straw (don't drink it, it tastes very nasty!).
You need to pay attention to weight too, sort of. Doesn't do to set the thing in the water and have it fall over, you know? (That's just like the big boats too.) So, heavy goes on the bottom, light goes on top, sort of.

Considering that I have no idea of what kind of boat you want, what you happen to have handy, and how much your banker likes you, all of this is a very generalized sort of thingy. Best advice I could give is to take a look at what's around, decide which you want to try, then think about all the 'mysterious'/'magical' stuff that it would take to build it. Look at not only what is there, but how it was done. That sort of thing. Once you've done it, it'll seem much simpler than before you've done it (deep thought there, i'nit?). Only other advice I can give you from experience is to think -before- you do it, not after. 'Un-doing' is always harder than 'doing'. And if you get totally frustrated, a very large hammer 'solves' many problems. Not really, but it's satisfying as #3||!... Allow a little time, liberally filled with a pint or two, and you'll be ready to start again.
Have fun!
- 'Doc

There are two lists that you should keep in mind. One is called the "Do It This Way" list, the other is the "DON'T Do It This Way" list. My problem is keeping the two straight.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:37 AM
ormer

read this on another section of the forum [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7603257/tm.htm[/link]