Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about speed controller/battery pack

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Question about speed controller/battery pack

Old 06-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Lord-Kanti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about speed controller/battery pack

Hello all, first i would like to say I am new to the rc scene in general. With that said, I am planning on purchasing a uss crocket rc model. ( [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXE356&P=M[/link] ) I do not wish to use the two 6 v motors that come with it. I have two Team trinity p2k2 motors that I love and want to use. I know that the battery that comes with the crocket is insufficient for the motors im planning. I also have 2 venom 3000 NiMh 7.2 v 6 cell battery packs that I want to use. The problem is I only have one speed controller ( a team traxis xl1 ) It's connections allow for two battery packs but I am unsure what will happen with plugging both battery packs into it. Will it just increase the power available, but give the motors the same amount of power as if there was only 1 pack plugged in? Or would it be to much power for the speed controller to handle? I have no idea what would happen and do not wish to ruin my parts if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:39 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Question about speed controller/battery pack

Two batteries in parallel (assuming they are the same voltage and state of charge) will give the same voltage as one. With the same load, they will last longer. Doubling the load, you are back to the same run time as one battery and one motor. The ESC will have to handle twice the current.
Over-powering a scale displacement hull is rarely a good idea - you get an unstable boat and should it survive, a shorter run time.