Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

8 y.o. Coping with loss of boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

8 y.o. Coping with loss of boat

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 y.o. Coping with loss of boat

Has anyone had the displeasure of your son/daughter loosing a boat?

Im going through it right now.

I bought her a Reef Racer 2 boat for her Birthday (6/22) and now a week later its gone.

Today she goes back to her Mother so we stopped by a pond I knew about close to her Mothers house. It looked alright, not to much weeds. She got about 2 minutes in while I was setting up my Mini Rio. Then she screamed. I jumped out from under neath the trunk lid. "Its stuck Dad!" And thats all she wrote. Turns out theres a HUGE patch of some sort of desne seaweed.

She cried for an hour while I tried my best to retrieve it with extra large bobbers, some weight and a fishing pole. She cried the whole way home. I do admit Im a little sour feeling myself, not just the fact that $65 is gone- but that shes so upset I dont think she wants to run boats again. Ive already offered up my yellow RR2...

So if anyone is in Toledo Area. There is a childs Purple Reef Racer 2 out in Hecklingers pond on the corner of Seaman and Burger Rd (Ya thats a weird intersection...lmao).

I thought about swimming out after it but its just to dangerous with the seaweed. Plus the fact its a city pond... Last year it was drained and cleaned. Cars, guns, knives... you name it, it was in there...
Old 06-29-2008, 04:54 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: 8 y.o. Coping with loss of boat

sorry about the upset kid, there not old enough to really understand. maybe get yourself a little blow up boat, you could get it back with that. good luck with it
Old 06-29-2008, 05:49 PM
PondProwler

Buy yourself a small (.049 class) air boat and put a small electric motor on it - Those things just love moss and seaweed covered ponds. Don't want to build one, ask a local club or hobby shop for help. I bet you will find a young teen that's out of a summer job will be glad to retrieve it with a swamp buggy and make a few bucks in the process.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Basstronics

Well I went to the pond tonight after work to see if I could get a better look at things.

Go figure, the boat is gone. I know it didnt sink.

There was fireworks leftovers laying around. Taking a wild guess here, but someone waded out into the water and got it.

The wind was calm and I could get a better look at things. There is thick seaweed patches all over and I bet it was only 2' deep in the area where it got stuck. If I would of known that I would of walked out to get it!

So Im going to take a wild chance and call Toledo Police to see if anyone turned it in. I also left some graffiti on the "DO NOT FEED THE GEESE" sign... lol. Offering a $20 reward for it along with my #.

I had this wild thought maybe someone fished it out and would leave it close to shore. I was half right.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:43 PM
nothinbetr2do

man, that's a shame. maybe you'll get lucky and someone who has it will see your ad and call you. but, then again who knows. might be easier now to just get her another one just like it. at least it's cheap
Old 06-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The funny thing is that it's going to be kind of useless to anyone without a transmitter. Hit the area hobby shops like Rider's and Hobby Stop West, leave some fliers there or let the people know. The finders might try to unload it at one of those stores.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Basstronics

That was a thought also.

I think I will give Pat a call at Hobby Stop.

Given the area it was lost in Im guessing a poorer person fetched it out. Seems to me most city people wont drive to the other side of the city for something so trivial, its just to far. lol.
Ive learned my lesson about boating. Dont put your boat in water your unfamiliar with or where you cant go get it if something happens. Also I doubt I will run in an inner city pond again!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Next time take a drive across the bridge and go over to Oregon. There are 2 parks over there with small ponds. I really like the park off Cedar Point Road. There is the larger pond there then a smaller one that isn't used much.
Normally I don't get down that way too often except for the Toledo show but a bunch of us from up here went to a fun run over in Oregon. I knew some of the LHS's because one year at the show it was boring so we hit them before heading home.
Downtown Toledo is kind of ghetto so I know what you're talking about although there are some very nice parts of the city. One of the places that I practice and tweak at isn't exactly in the best part of this city either. Nobody gripes as they don't want the cops to show up.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:42 AM
mrbassman

I still feel you did the right thing by NOT going out to get it. What if the water wasn't 2' deep but a lot more? Sorry for your loss and for your daughter being upset, but the boat can always be replaced.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Basstronics

Thats precisely why I didnt go into the water all excuses aside. Not knowing whats in it, depth or composition.

Im writing the boat off totally. Im sure someones got it in their house. If i get a call cool. if not they may as well pitch it. With no transmitter its about worthless.