Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Rc boat n00b

Old 07-01-2008, 07:31 AM
gfkostas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc boat n00b

Am new in the rc boat hobby but a little bit experienced with buggy's so i understand "some" stuff. I would like to buy a boat which ideally should be running in nitro i would imagine as that is what is faster?

What am looking for is a reasonable size boat, the size of a 1/8 buggy or this size(http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub0001-main.html), prefferably RTR, and pro versions so that I won't have to upgrade its parts later on. Also it must have if possible a tank which can last 10minute or enough time so that i won't have to refill it all the time. Is there an indicaton telling you when you need to bring back the boat for a refill? I found this one http://www.sloughrc.com/asp/default.asp?itemid=B-AQUB40 . Is aquacraft a good maker?

Can you guide me as to the price i will have to pay for such a kit and what should I choose? My budget is up to $1k. Am based in the UK so uk links appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: Rc boat n00b

With that budget...you,ll be much happier with gasoline power. Many rtr kits availible for that price and even under. Plus your fuel costs are significantly less than glow fuels. Usually more reliable and easier to tune.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Dan S

Hemi is right,
with a decent budget like you have gas would be more logical.

There are quite a good amount of guy's on this site that are from your Area and hopefully they will chime in, they may be able to point you to something in your area (cheaper on shipping).

RTR boats are not like RTR or ARTR kit like the 1/8 buggy, with the buggy you can take for example a basic SVM Cronos Prima (modify later down the road) or go all out with the SVM Cronos RS07 (full race version no upgrade required), boats however they don't come like this, eventually you want to upgrade to better parts (always), unless you are content with the boat the way it came but I haven't seen or heard of anyone not upgrading something.

The Rio 51 is a boat that you may enjoy the way it is out of the box for quite a while (I believe problems have been rectified) and the only thing you will want to change from the start is the prop.
maybe later on down the road you may want to do an engine upgrade and maybe not (I say that you will, we all do) lol
look around, there are other good RTR or ARTR boats (gas) out there that won't need or only need minor upgrade and you may be able to find a used one like a lot of us do.

IF you find anything on Ebay, please come back here with the link so the guy's can advise you on it. There are a lot of good used boats out there Ebay included but there is also a few misleading people as well.

Dan.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 AM
gfkostas

Thanks for the responses

Basically i want something uncomplicated and FAST. Are gasoline boats as fast as nitro ones? what speed we talking about here? Can you recommend me something? I really don't know which one is good or not.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:43 PM
gfkostas

What do you think about there: http://madabout-rc.co.uk/rcgasnitroboats.aspx

are boats less complicated in terms of maintainace etc. than buggies?
Old 07-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Dan S

Personally I have not seen the RC Nimbus run, one thing I don't like from the strut is that it cannot be adjusted.

I have 3 Nitro boats and one Gas Cat and I also have a 1/8 Nitro buggy and I can tell you that a boat is less maintenance than the Buggy.

Have a look at this site: http://sonicracingaustralia.com/prodir.htm

Dan.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:58 AM
gfkostas

Which one is the Nimbus run? Am not sure i follow you.

What is it that i should check when i buy a new hull? Where should I go to learn the "must need" stuff that i need to know like breaking in the engine , the basic maintenance necessary etc. Is there an idiots guide? I ain't gonna buy a hull unless i feel my knowledge is matture enough.
Can someone help?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Dan S

gfk,

from the link you provided, the first boat that appears "Flying Fish Pro-Racing" is the Nimbus, and I meant that I never saw that particular RC boat run.
The site you provided calls them "Flying Fish Pro-Racing, on another site they call it "Vantex Bat Power 1300GP260 Petrol RC Boat".

The Rio 51 would be faster out of the box than the Nimbus/Flying Fish.

I personally would not buy the Flying Fish/Nimbus,

gfk, Read this whole thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45...Nimbus/tm.htm#

Dan.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The Aquacraft V-24 was plagued with a lot of problems so I'd stay away from that one. The same goes for the Flying Fish. Bottom-of-the-line parts and a scary to the gas boats cheap AM radio.
For under a Grand there are much better boats available.
You did well young Skywalker by asking questions before throwing down your hard earned money. Ask away, as we'd rather see a happy boater than one who buys junk then gets turned off because they got burned.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 AM
schnipster

i have a shockwave 55.....whatever anyone says....if you lay a few sheets of resin down in the center of the hull and around the mounts, tighten all the nuts and bolts.........raise the drive angle to the max, polish the prop.....it is a stable, loud rocketship!!!! really for the money the new 55 is awesome it handles like a ski boat as well!!
Old 07-04-2008, 10:59 AM
schnipster

as well the rio drive system looks kinda dinky, the 55 comes with great looking hardware!! and that motor hauls [email protected]#$