Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

rc gas boat

Old 07-06-2008, 07:03 AM
iceknight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc gas boat

hi there, Im new to this and wanted to ask a few questions.

would it be viable to put a supercharged aircraft engine into a boat? would it produce a massive amount of power?

would it be a power upgrade to stick twin or tripple carbs on a modded zenoah? or would this be too much to handle for it?

any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:23 AM
schnipster

Default RE: rc gas boat

dude i just bought a shockwave 55 and it hauls, but i will tell you, when a boat flips, it aint nothing like an rc car,

1. you have to go into the crappiest water and get it
2. when you do get it expect EVERYING single item in that boat to be friggin ruined! its like th most expensive disposable toy i have ever had

so to answer your question the more power you have the more chance you have that its going to lose control and flip and cost you a million [email protected]!

!!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:40 AM
iceknight

yearh i figured that... but still doesent answer my questions about power upgrads.. :P
Old 07-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Forget the multple carbs. That's like putting a 4-barrel Holley on a lawnmower, it just doesn't need it.
The plane engine with a blower really isn't made for adding HP but to help keep air going in at high altitudes. It takes HP to make HP with superchargers. Keep in mind that most plane engines aren't big HP and RPM motors anyway plus lousy timing for boat use.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: schnipster

dude i just bought a shockwave 55 and it hauls, but i will tell you, when a boat flips, it aint nothing like an rc car,

1. you have to go into the crappiest water and get it
2. when you do get it expect EVERYING single item in that boat to be friggin ruined! its like th most expensive disposable toy i have ever had

so to answer your question the more power you have the more chance you have that its going to lose control and flip and cost you a million [email protected]!

!!
If you run in a sewer then yes the conditions for recovery might not be great - but if you run in good water then recovery is in good water. I cannot say I have ruined anything running and flipping in around 3 years. To reduce the risk of damage preperation is required - I am sure it is the same with a car. Radio box must be water tight, throttle should be closed as soon as the boat leaves the water. I have found a lot less things to break in a boat and if you maintain your boat they break, fail, or loose control less often.

iceknight
The carbs available for a zenoah currently provide more than enough air flow. Instead of a bolt on blower consider the fact that the tuned pipe is a form of supercharging and does provide a notable gain in performance. While superchargers and nitrous options may exist they really cannot compare with the power gains available to boats from a very simple/reliable tuned pipe addition.

Best power upgrade for a zenoah is to be internally modified by a SKILLED modifier and to have the right tuned pipe added. You will see a doubling of the stock power from a zenoah and a few thousand more rpm. Need more power than that?- the motors are out there but the prices tend to go up accordingly.

Stock zenoah is around 3hp, stock sikk is around 4hp, Mod zenoah around 6hp, qd25 around 7hp, qd35 around 8hp, Mathe 35 around 8hp, CMB35 around 9hp, inline zenoah 52 around 9hp, Polini 50 around 10hp, Blata clone around 10hp, Blata 40 around 12hp, Mathe 70 around 16hp - and on from there.
http://groups.msn.com/JustaddwatasRC...to&PhotoID=592

Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 PM
schnipster

i am over my inital shock and now i have fixed the boat....all is well......this thing hauls ass again, i must apologize for my banter as i was in the midst of a flipped boat episode.......PS how do i seal the radio box better, so far when i dried out the servos i put a bit of vaseline on the bottom before i closed them..should i put them in balloons?

the motos had water in it so idrained all fuel turned, drained the motor, had it running in an hour...the thing is that this boat is fast it was gps d at 51 mph.....i swear......but a little gust of wind and bye bye!!

i had to swim in a nasty pond..lol
Old 07-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best trick for the radio box is having it water tight. Either with a quality gasket sealed lid or taped lid. Use tight fitting bellows for push rods. Use a water tight switch setup. Spemd a little extra time and $$ to make sure it is tight and you will never have to deal with it later on (or risk loosing control of your boat or damaging your gear).