Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie looking for help and advice

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Newbie looking for help and advice

Old 07-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Geoboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for help and advice

I am new to RC boats, and although I have some experience with non-powered planes and some experience with electric cars, I am a rookie. As such, I recently purchased a couple of electric boats hoping to have some fun in my pool. I should have done more research before making the purchase as they turned out to be "toys"; slow, eratic performance, short battery life, etc. Disappointing at best, but I can see how I could have some fun with the right equipment.
Which brings me to my dilema; because my primary playground will be my pool, and even though it's considered large by most backyard standards, any boat over 10"-12" in length is going to be too big. And, of course, it needs to fast enough to be dangerous. That is to say there has to be the potential of damage in a crash or I don't think it's going to be much fun.
I'm not opposed to building from scratch, if needed, if someone could offer up some advice on hull type and hardware package. I'm thinking I'll need a motor/prop combo with lots of torque for tight turns and quick acceleration, a servo for the rudder, speed control, and reliable, long life batteries. And I realize all those components need to compatible to avoid burning things up. My fear is that by the time all that gets packed into a hull, it'll need to be more than 12" long. And if I scratch build, do I start with a V-hull or tunnel hull? So, can anyone recommend a kit or an RTR that's fast, highly manuverable, (obviously I'll have to make extremely tight turns) and only 10" to 12" in length? I've been searching the internet, but am afraid anything in that length will be another "toy". Can anyone recommend an equipment "package" that's light weight and reliable, in the event I scratch build?
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
geoboat
Old 07-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Newbie looking for help and advice

This site seems to have small boats http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/index.php I've seen two of the Mini Z running in a small backyard pond and they were wild in that little pond.There's a motor upgrade and running Nimh batteries gives a longer run time than alkaline batteries used in some toy boats.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Dan S

You have the

Mini-V,
Mini Rio, and
Mini Cat.

Dan
Old 05-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Steve FosterColorado

Also a newbie
I am looking for info to fit a Cabella's pontoon boat (approx 350 lbs) with remote control and propulsion (hopefully electric). Range needed is 1/4 mile. Is there anything that would do this?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:39 PM
rcguy1411

a couple of trolling motors and 12 volt deep cycle battery and a 2.4 gig radio then a couple of high tork servo should do the trick