Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New! Dug out my dads old Gas or Nitro boat!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New! Dug out my dads old Gas or Nitro boat!

Old 07-21-2008, 04:17 AM
Tom.D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New! Dug out my dads old Gas or Nitro boat!

Well this boat has been sitting in the garage for about 3 years, I see it every time I leave or enter the house, and just lately decided I wanted to dig it out. It was properly stored (fuel drained from engine and everything), but could anything bad have happened to it from being stored for so long? I think the boat is a Nitro mix, as the instructions tell me to use a certain glow plug with a certain amount of nitro.

On to the pictures though! Not sure exactly what kind of boat it is, but it says wave slave on the back.

Engine is a K&B 3.5CC, I know it has ran amazing with no problems (really good family friends owned the boat before us and had tons of fun with it). 1.1 HP at 25000

Internals

I remember the boat being a ton of fun the last time it was out (although I was young), but no clutch is annoying and makes it a pain to launch and receive, it goes amazing though.

Any thoughts and comments welcome!

Tom
Old 07-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Dan S

Default RE: New! Dug out my dads old Gas or Nitro boat!

I'm assuming its an outboard engine probably mounted on a tunnel hull.

good plug to use would be K&B 1L. as for Nitro use what you have available in your area, 20% nitro or more with 14 to 18% oil content.

I had my K&B 7.5 running on 10% Nitro.

You won't find too many boats with a clutch unless your looking for a toy or going bigger with a gas engine and again not everyone runs them with a clutch, I don't.

if the motor was stored properly like you said fuel drained, after run oil or another type of oil put in the engine for storage it should be good to go.
You could take the engine apart to ensure all is ok, if you feel up to the task.

Dan.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Tom,

You are lucky you have your Dads boat to play with now.

Anyway, that K&B outboard is the standard by which all other outboards were ever measured. And guess what? Today there is indeed a clutch system available for it!

http://www.abrcdesign.com/AB_RC_Design_K_B_3.html
Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Dan S

I stand corrected on the clutch, but not a requirement.

Dan.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Tom.D

Thanks for the replies everyone! And thanks for the link to the clutch Kmot! With the clutch this enables me to idle the boat sitting still right? The one thing right now I just don't like is you start it and its gone, I sorta like it to be able to stop for me. And with the clutch, will it enable me to cruise slower or will it just be fast and faster still, but with a neutral gear? As for tearing down the engine I may do that, my dad said he drained the fuel from the engine, but didn't think he stored it 100% properly. I just don't want to start it up and blow the whole thing up and then have to buy a completely new motor.

Tom
Old 07-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Kmot

Yes, and yes.

Look at the video on the home apge:

http://www.abrcdesign.com/Page_1.php
Old 07-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Dan S

works nicely,

one thing that we should mention if you decide to use a clutch, while you are sitting still there is no water circulating the the head cooling the engine.

if you only want to idle for 5 or 10 seconds it won't be a problem but if you want to be able to idle for longer period of time you should install an electric water pump.

Dan.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Tom.D

Awesome guys thanks for the replys! Definitely a ton of help I am going to start on the engine tonight, I have diagrams and a general idea of everything, but the one thing I am not sure of is putting it back together, do I just tighten everything as tight as I can get it? I did a bit of searching also and couldn't find any step by step help for the K&B engine, does anyone know if there is any out there?

I am guessing the signs I should be looking for is rust, and I guess bearing wear?

Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Kmot

Owners manuals, 3-views, etc:

http://www.mecoa.com/kb/marine/marine_outboard.htm
Old 07-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The question that nobody answered yet is that the Wave Slave is an AC Model Boats hull.
http://www3.telus.net/acboats/gasmono/Wave_Slave.JPG
Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tom.D

Awesome guys thanks for the replys! Definitely a ton of help I am going to start on the engine tonight, I have diagrams and a general idea of everything, but the one thing I am not sure of is putting it back together, do I just tighten everything as tight as I can get it? I did a bit of searching also and couldn't find any step by step help for the K&B engine, does anyone know if there is any out there?

I am guessing the signs I should be looking for is rust, and I guess bearing wear?

Thanks again!
NO!!! Don't tighten every thing as tight as you can get it. You're next question will be "How do I fix stripped out crankcase holes?" Tighten the screws till they are snug, Don't over do it. You're dealing with a cast aluminum case and the screw holes will strip easily.

And why would you want to put on the extra weight and complexity with a clutch. This is supposed to be a racing boat, not a toy car. If the carb needles are set properly the engine should slow to an idle and the boat will crawl to shore. The same with launching. Put the boat in the water and advance the throttle.