Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help choosing! SV27 Brushless or Nitro!?..

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Need help choosing! SV27 Brushless or Nitro!?..

Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 PM
JonKBMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing! SV27 Brushless or Nitro!?..

Hey guys - I am going to think about buying an SV27 next week. But, I have the dilemma of choosing nitro or brushless. I like brushless because its easier to take it to a park that doesn't allow gas powered items, but I like the nitro because its not going to cost me the boat + $90 in batteries + charger up front that only last 7 - 10 minutes.

So... what do I do!? I kind of think the Brushless would be easier to take around to parks... but nitro will last longer (as long as I have fuel) and is somewhat "cooler".

Input appreciated!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 AM
TCHedOff

Default RE: Need help choosing! SV27 Brushless or Nitro!?..

I hate to see someone not get a fast reply, so thought I'd give you something to chew on. I own nitro (no electrics) and now am getting a .21 rigger put together.

Nitro's require on-going tuning on the HSN to keep them at their peak, and for a beginner, when they dont run/start, they can be VERY frustrating. I have a boat right now that is running lean tho the settings are rich. Last night I replaced all the fuel/water lines thinking air leak. If that doesnt fix it, then I suspect something fouling the carb (I run where there is a sandy beach). Point is nitro's require a hi-level of commitment, and it really helps to have a club or other nitro boaters around to help you out when they are stuck. Not trying to talk you out of nitro (I love them screaming around) but dont want to see be disillusioned/disappointed. I'd go nitro if you like the sound etc and have people around to help, electric if your all by yourself. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Spetz

Personally, after having electric gear and going to nitro, I would never ever even consider getting electric again.

Of course, you have different criteria for selection. For starters, nitro is powerfull and there isn't the worry of recharging batteries etc etc. Also, the sound, the smell and the smoke trail all make it that much better.
At the same time though nitro stalls, and that's fine in a car but with a boat you can't really just walk on water. You mentioned $90 in batteries etc for the brushelss version (I don't know how much they all cost) but I guess you can kind of use $90 if you buy the nitro boat to buy a retrieval boat.

Additionally think where you can run the boat. You mentioned no gas allowed in the place you wanna use it at?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:00 PM
toddlupton

I love the smell of nitro in the morning.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:44 PM
nesto211

I have a supervee 27 brushless and its a pain charging batteries and never really knowing how good of a run youll get. I recently purchased an enforcer super g and its night and day!!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:29 PM
doby
My Feedback: (1)

Brilliant comparison ......
Old 08-12-2008, 05:05 PM
nesto211

yeah i guess you got a point!!! wasnt really comparing them though just stating a fact!!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:46 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both electric and nitro boats. While I like both you cant go past electric for ease of use. They really are plug and play. The nitro boats are fun but can be a pain sometimes. Personally if i had to choose between the two I would choose electric. The nitro and BL SV's are basically the same speed.