Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do I remove clearcoated decals??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

How do I remove clearcoated decals??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:03 AM
tc4 drft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove clearcoated decals??

I want to completely repaint my Venom King of Shaves, but to my dismay, they've clearcoated of the vinyl decals. What would be the best way to remove them, and get this thing ready for primer and paint? How should I remove the paint? I want it all Pearl White, so I'm sure it will need a good primer to go over the dark blue deck. I've included a pic for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45038.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1010411  
Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 AM
misshydro

Default RE: How do I remove clearcoated decals??

Ok buzz the decials with 180 the remove the clearcoat. Then take a razor blade to the decial to remove them. Then use prep sole/tar&wax&grease remover to get the sticky resado off from the decials.Also carefully use laqure thinner on a rag over the decials,that might help it lift off easyer and also removes the sticky stuff of too. Then wetsand the whole boat with 180 grit wetsand paper.Then prime it. I would sudjest using K-2 primer. It will etch and fill any imperfections on the hull. Then after priming then wetsand it with 320-400 and also use a red scotch bright pad for the areas that are head to get at with sand paper.use the scotch bright on both prossess,before primming and after primming to paint.Then use paint sealer then your ready to paint.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:14 PM
tc4 drft

Ok, sounds easy enough. Where would I find a red scotchbright pad, and K2 primer?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Dreamin Hemi

NAPA or most automotive stores should have it. NAPA usually works for my paint supplies, however my local one also is a House of Kolor and PPG paint jobber.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 AM
realgoodboatsonly

ORIGINAL: tc4 drft

I want to completely repaint my Venom King of Shaves, but to my dismay, they've clearcoated of the vinyl decals. What would be the best way to remove them, and get this thing ready for primer and paint? How should I remove the paint? I want it all Pearl White, so I'm sure it will need a good primer to go over the dark blue deck. I've included a pic for reference.

hay , you can also hit it with acitone gelcoat resin cleaner and you will remove all that paint as those hull are paint over gelcoat.
i wouldent go hitting it with 120 grit paper as somone sead you will be giving your self more work. . if you do sand it back dont go for corse paper you will regret doing that.
all the best with it ........
Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 PM
escipion

Hello!!!!
Let me tell you another option:
Use your heat gun one second directly to a decal, the heat will weak the decal’s glue, then you can remove easily the decal.
I use a solvent called Glyco (Ethilene glyco 100 % pure) to remove the glue that remains in the surface.

Escipion
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2008, 01:03 PM
schnipster

heres my thought...are you nuts that boat looks awesome...lol
Old 08-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Heres MY thought...I myself do not understand why you would want to do this, but if you must, why not just paint right over the existing paint? You are focusing on removing the decals that are under the clearcoat right? That means the rest of the boat will get painted over, right? So I would suggest leave your decals which are already permantly secured and trapped within the clearcoat. Simply use a grease and wax remover over the entire hull. Take a fine grit, probably 320-400 wet-sand paper and scuff the entire hull, this gives a better adhesion for your primer/sealer. Prime or use sealer directly over the clearcoat. If a sealer is used, than no further sanding is necessary or recommended. Lay down your base color of white, may take 2-3 medium coats. Add your pearl to your 1'st layer of clearcoat and spray a mist and than a medium-wet coat. Clean the gun and finish up with another layer of clean clearcoat without pearl. 2 more layers if you plan to wet-sand and buff out the buggers and dust that may settle on it. That's basically what you're looking at for finishing. If this seems like a lot, than imagine all the work you'll be doing removing all thoes decals and then doing all the above! Pictured below is the pearl I use and a picture that hopefully comes out showing the pearl effect with a light bulb on one of my hull designs This particular customer ordered his in NEON YELLOW with a PEARL additive. These pictures really don't do this paint job justice. Much better in direct sunlight.

-Scott

Name:	Hf10224.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1011495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60350.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1011496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56712.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1011497  
Old 08-17-2008, 11:24 AM
tc4 drft

Dreamin.....removing the decals is a must! If I did what you were saying, although the thickness of the vinyl is slight, you would have outlines of the decals under the paint. And to the members saying they like the King of Shaves paint, so do I, but as the year continues, more and more people are buying these. Who wants a boat that looks like everyone elses? I was also thinking about doing a "Patron Taquilla" theme.....thats still up in the air. The Patron site won't let me copy a pic, but its mainly black, with neon green front, and a bright blue surrounding the cockpit area.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:18 PM
misshydro

Dreaminghemi,,Why paint over existing paint??!!! You'll add more weight to the boat. doing your route!! it realy matters.By paint over existing paint will add more weight and it will hamper your performance of your boat too.Theres paint stripers for fiberglass. It wont hurt the fibeglass,but it will strip the paint&decials wright off your boat fast!! Thats the most easyest&quickest route I would take.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Didn't know such a product existed. Won't hurt the gelcoat? Only takes off the paint? Where can I find this stuff?
Old 08-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: tc4 drft

Dreamin.....removing the decals is a must! If I did what you were saying, although the thickness of the vinyl is slight, you would have outlines of the decals under the paint.

That's why you sand at least around the decal area to get it perfectly smooth. Check out the decals I add to my DCS boats. They are vinyl cleared over, but sanded after a couple coats and additional added over top that. No tape edges show here. But I can understand the weight savings I guess. Just never thought a little extra dried paint made all that difference in weight. I'll try to get a better picture later once my camera charges up.

Hard getting a good picture with a point and shoot camera and a bright color. But you can see how I clearcoated over them with absolutely no edges showing.

Name:	Ur51974.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1013310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38160.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1013311  
Old 08-17-2008, 05:30 PM
misshydro

Used the stuff on acouple of vetts and some fiberglass header panels on GM's. It only took the paint off and decials only.You can get that fiberglass striper at the local autobody paint stores. With nitros&FE boats weight is very critical.[X(]