Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Vinyl Decals??

Old 08-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Gadgetman61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl Decals??

Has anyone ever used this guy from ebay or does anyone have experience with this type of decal/sticker??

I'm curious about spraying clear over them etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUD-DECALS_W0QQi...80712107r30152

"they are a seven year vinyl and go on last it is a peel and stick and peel transfer"
Old 08-16-2008, 04:39 PM
tmt32mj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Vinyl Decals??

I clear coated mine over the vinyl sticker. No problem so far. There are plenty of people doing it. You're safe.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Dreamin Hemi

The decals I apply to my DCS painted hulls are always clearcoated over. Never a problem. For really cool custom work, I give it 2 heavy coats of clearcoat, allow to dry. I then wetsand with 320 grit smooth to blend in the edges and apply one more heavy layer of clearcoat. Makes for a perfectly smooth finish. Makes it appear the decal was painted on because you can't feel any edges!

-Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83387.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1012788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47988.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1012789  
Old 08-16-2008, 08:11 PM
misshydro

I'd sprayed a coat of laqure clear coat to help it bite into the decials for adhetion perpouse. laqure is a hot paint and it will bit into the vinyl decials very easy Plus you cant sand/use a scotch bright pad on the decials or the sanding with out clearing it or it will peel the decials up in some areas..Thats why I spray a coat of laqure clear on them. Then use a gray scotchbright to scuff the clear then spray two good coats of urothane clear on your boat/decials and your good to go.Decial I'd payed 18.00 form my local sign&graphic shop. The pic of my boat at the show had one coat of laqure clear on it didnt have time to do the urothane clear until after the show.The last pic is the finish product with the urothane crossfire clear on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15074.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1012921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15022.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1012922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63743.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1012923  
Old 08-16-2008, 08:13 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Gadget,

I cut vinyl lettering as a side business. Vinyl is fine under clearcoating. The only thing to watch is in the prep. Do not use laquer thinner when doing a wipedown prior to clearcoating. These will soften the decal and soften the glue. Use Prep-sol or acrylic enamel reducer, if possible. Denatured Alchohol will also work as a cleaner.

If spraying with a gun, I have very good luck with Chromabase/Chromaclear (DuPont) PPG, House of Kolor also will produce excellent results. If you are using a spray can just make sure it will stand up to gasoline (or glow fuel) Typically, the stuff in a can will not tolerate harsh fuels very well but experiment for your own results.

Pete
Old 08-17-2008, 08:36 PM
misshydro

dont use enamel reducer! it might lift the paint wright up! Use denatured alchohol or prep sol=tar&wax&grease remover it paint safe wont harm it.Oh you can also was your boat down with dish washing shop,also works well too. If you have a NAPA store in your area? Use the crossfire system urothance paint system& Duponts other line NASON.Both are great paint systems and cost is half what the other big paint company charges.