Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

blackjack 55 mysteries!!??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

blackjack 55 mysteries!!??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:47 AM
kaferjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blackjack 55 mysteries!!??

hello rc boat fans...i have two blackjack 55,that had filthy carbs. i cleaned both,and one started right up,and the other ,n.g....its getting spark,and gas,but even with choke on, im not getting that initial pop from it,where the other one pops on choke,and then starts,very next pull. the both of these seemed fairly new,until i opened up carbs. they both had a lot of dirt covering the screens that are on the bottom side of them. i bought both from hobbymart on ebay,just about a year apart. the most recent one,about a month ago,and this ids the one with no pop at all.this one had a bent propshaft....could a sudden stop or bang to this area have caused something internal to happen??? it seems like it has compression,but not like the one that fires right up....any help appreciated..joe 203-386-1587,or send me yours...i really wanted to get this fired up,and get another opinion,before i rip her down...joe
Old 08-19-2008, 12:37 PM
sportygreg
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: blackjack 55 mysteries!!??

If it's getting spark and gas then compression is suspect-any internal conbustion engine suddenly stopped can suffer internal damage.Unseated rings,bent rod,burnt valve or scarred piston and cylinder.Could even be something simple like a blown gasket.No telling if a used engine has been over revved or overheated at one time.Without a compressio tester it is hard to determine without disassembly.[8D]
Old 08-19-2008, 07:02 PM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

the first bj 55 that i got from horizen hobbies would not start at all so i sent it in for a replacement.no problem.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 PM
kaferjoe

HEY SPORTYGREG...THANKS AGAIN...I WAS BEING LAZY,AND SHOULD OF PULLED CYLINDER LONG AGO...HOWEVER YOU WERE RIGHT, SCARRED PISTON ,FROZEN RING...BUT THE REST OF MOTOR STILL LOOKS BRAND NEW...PARTS BEING OVERNIGHTED....THE OTHER BLACKJACK I HAVE ,WOULD NOT STAY RUNNING...THE SCREEN VERY DIRTY,BUT THIS STILL DIDNT SEEM TO HELP....THE SPARK PLUG GAP WAS WAY OUT...I CLOSED IT UP,AND NOW IT WONT SHUT OFF,UNLESS I USE THE KILL SWITCH,OR RUN HER OUT OF GAS........IF ANYONE KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IT SHOULD BE PLEASE LET ME KNOW...IT DOSENT SAY IN EITHER,THE ZENOAH,OR BLACKJACK MANUAL...THANKS AGAIN...JOE
Old 08-19-2008, 07:48 PM
kaferjoe

HELLO BLACK TALON..I HEAR YOU, BUT BOUGHT IT USED,AS IS,AND AS IT TURNS OUT,ANOTHER 50.00 FOR PARTS,AND IT SHOULD BE GOOD AS NEW. THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE...JOE
Old 08-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If it won't shut down, give that idle screw a toss as you don't need it. The thing might be interfering with you now being able to shut it down. you should be able to push outwards on the throttle trigger to stop the engine. If it doesn't then you may have a fuel mixture problem that's keeping it running.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:36 PM
sportygreg
My Feedback: (2)

I'm glad I could help-I rebuilt motorcycles for years and other small engines as well.Comes in handy to keep my old Harley running!Good luck rebuilding your engine-I run electric boats because it's easier to find a pond or lake to run in without upsetting people.Don't care if I have the fastest boat-it's all about fun![8D]
Old 08-20-2008, 04:17 AM
kaferjoe

hey ron...thanks for info on screw...i meant that not shutting off,as a good thing...the first time i brouhgt it to pond,it ran ok,but hesitated half way up the throttle. i then decided to tune her up in backyard,with water hooked up,and could not get any consistency...idle/goosing the throttle/running without stalling/raising throttle,and would die/.,were all problems, i encountered. this went on for a couple of days,and decided to look in carb,and this is when i found screen totally jammed with dirt. after i cleaned, i figured ,i was ready to roll. still no good...i then was looking at spark plug(which im waiting on some new ones to come in),and closed up the gap to 22thousants,where it must have been originally,at 45...and now shes running great. i meant that partially in jest when i said i couldnt shut her down. it now idles perfectly,and no hesitation,when snapping the throttlle,plus the manual was right all along..im equally set on high/low setting screws at 1/1/4 turns...ive read that before about ditching the idle screw,but am now a liitle hesitant, about removing it , at this point,because it is running so well, id hate to jinx myself....thanks joe
Old 08-20-2008, 05:26 AM
dicko

Pulling out the idle screw won't affect your tune, it just stops the engine from being able to be shut down remotely with the transmitter in case ofan emergency. Remove it & set up your trims right on your transmitter & you'll be laughing. It makes retreiving the boat so much safer & easier.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:41 PM
honda2002

new to R/c have a bj/55 how do you kill engine w/remote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:49 PM
kaferjoe

hello honda its like a remote car,if you push the trigger away,instead of pulling it in,it will close the throttle all the way ,provided that you set the trim a little...joe