Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC kayak

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:31 AM
anthonytheairplaneman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC kayak

Hello, i was wondering if this is possible. i can build the hull, but moving the paddles is my problem. is it possible to keep the servos running a certain pattern continually. will i need engines instead. i want to use servos for movements, with paddling on way to turn, no rudder.

Thanks in advance, Anthony.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RC kayak

It would take some engineering, but It's definitely possible. The paddling action can be made into a cycle mechanically, but then you have the issue of turning. Since you don't want to use a rudder, you'd have to have some way of controlling each side of the paddle independantly - almost like an axle of sorts. Connected in the middle but on 2 separate systems for left and right.

Anyway, I'm just spitting ideas out.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:02 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

It is easy enough to modify the servo to run continuously, just disconnect the linkage to the position pt under the output gear and remove the end stop from the output gear. "All" you have to do then is figure out the linkage between the servo arm and the paddle. Steering will happen the same way as on the real thing - you stop paddling with the paddle in the water, nature takes its course, and the kayak takes its new course. Hopefully.
How big is your intended model? There isn't a huge amount of power available.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:04 PM
anthonytheairplaneman

Thanks for the help, this looks like it will be an interesting project.

i intend to keep the kayak as small and light as possible, i have also designed a new plan, using only one servo. basically the servo for up/down movement is on a swivel base. when it goes up and down one arm turns a wheel(by connection on the wheels side) this then uses cogs to turn the base. the cogs will be no problem, i have meccano ones. Will this new plan work? the r/c control would be by moving the stick left and right. it doesnt need to be automatic because it uses only one servo now. Any thoughts? thanks for your helpful thoughts so far.

Anthony
Old 09-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, it's been done on the toy level but there is also a kit from one of the scale ship outfits that did a fisherman in a drift boat. The radio gear was stuck under the seat and in places like the fish bucket. I saw a Viking ship at the Toledo show that the owner could operate the steering on each side independently for steering.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:55 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Yes, there are toys available, http://rctoyzone.stores.yahoo.net/rckacl.html
There was also a gentleman in hong Kong that was building 1/6 scale RC kayaks...
video

And another gentlman in Germany building some larger that performed quite well.

There are also the super performing Indian Canoes that people build in Germany also...
Video
http://www.rcmovie.de/view_video.php...9f55a43db2ce04

Plans are available online.... somewhere...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27239.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1039989