Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

scratch building from pictures

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

scratch building from pictures

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:14 PM
slowglowflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratch building from pictures

How do I go about building a boat from the actual thing and pictures? I am trying to build a nordic tug model and I have access to the real thing and lots of pictures. Would it be better to try and draw up bulkheads and then sheet them, or try to carve it out of foam then fiberglass it? I have built many model airplanes but never a boat from scratch. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike
Old 10-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: scratch building from pictures

When u say the real thing do you mean the model it self or the actual tug that actully work's for a company?
Old 10-04-2008, 06:27 PM
LtDoc

Mike,
Either method should work, sheeting, or the foam and fiberglass. Which would you rather do, or find easier to do? I'd have to do the sheeting/cutting, fiberglass doesn't like me at all (allergic to it).
Can you build from pictures? Yes, may not be the most accurate depending on perspective (pun intended).
If you have access to the boat then you have it made! Make every measurement known to man of the thing. Then draw it up converting those measurements to whatever scale you want. That ought'a keep you busy for at least an hour or two (for the next month or so, maybe). Also might give you an idea of why there aren't kits of every boat ever made, too much work.
All joking aside, it's certainly possible and lots of people have done it (not me, I'm way too lazy!).
- 'Doc
Old 10-04-2008, 08:13 PM
slowglowflyer

My grandfather actually owns the boat and I have access to his shop. (its going to be a suprise present). I think that I would be more comfortable not using foam, simply because it is new to me. I think that if I can get started I will do quite well. My problem is converting the measurements into drawings and more specifically making bulkheads for it. I can handle things such as length and beam but making cross-sectional drawings seems like it would be quite difficult. Is there some sort of computer program that would help me create a plan? If so that would help me a bunch.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Deathwish

ORIGINAL: slowglowflyer

My problem is converting the measurements into drawings and more specifically making bulkheads for it. But making cross-sectional drawings seems like it would be quite difficult.

Try using soldering wire to trace your bulkheads. It sort of gaves you the outlines just stick it a piece of paper and strighten out the lines to match. I have this once one a diff kit. It's trail and error of some sorts. LOL
Old 10-04-2008, 08:29 PM
slowglowflyer

Here are some pictures of the boat I am trying to model.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83307.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1046042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14070.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1046043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35012.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1046044  
Old 10-04-2008, 08:31 PM
slowglowflyer

I am not following you on the soldier thing.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Deathwish

Well thats diff. i asked if it was model or a real one. As i see in the picture's its a very large one. lol The soldering wire trick wouldnt workon that. My bad.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:08 PM
slowglowflyer

Thats alright. I was trying to figure out how in the heck soldering wire would help in my case, but I do see how that would be a cool trick on a model. Thanks anyways!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:18 PM
slowglowflyer

Is there any computer program that will help with something like this that doesn't cost $4000?
Old 10-05-2008, 07:27 PM
LtDoc

There are probably computer programs around that could produce drawings from pictures, but, I seriously doubt if they are going to fall within the budget of most people. If you can find one, great. Don't hold your breath though.
The simplest thing would be to find the original plans for the boat, check with the builder. Next would be to grab a pencil, paper, yard stick, tape measure, and who knows what else and start measuring. Everything and anything you can measure. Make a sort of rough sketch and fill in the blanks for how far this is from that, etc, etc, etc. The more of those measurements you take, the easier it's gonna be. Not easy by any means, just 'easier'. You can see where all this is going, right? Not exactly something that'll be finished in an hour or two. Oh well, who says it has to be done by tomorrow? Good luck with it.
- 'Doc
Old 10-05-2008, 08:49 PM
slowglowflyer

That is a good idea. I just hope that the company would be willing enough to provide me with a plan for their boat. From a company stand point that would not be a wise move, but I could get ahold of someone who would be willing. Thanks for the input.