Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about my ESC

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Question about my ESC

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:52 AM
cardor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about my ESC

Hi all, my esc (futaba fp-mc4-p10) clicks when I'm in netural. Clicking goes away when I go to forward or reverse. Is this normal? I bought this used and maybe something is defective.I don't run it long because I'm thinking something will burn out. Changed motors ,and it does the same for both motors. One motor is a Bristol Bay 550 and the other is a 970 Johnson . 7.2 rechargeable battery pack. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:31 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Question about my ESC

Not familiar with the actual esc, but does it have a relay for reversing? It is probably this that you can hear. Just trim the centre off a little one way or the other, and the clicking should stop, and give it a something definite to work on. If its a computer controlled type, it might well need setting up to "know" where of, full forward and full reverse are. If not, there "should" be and adjustment pot to set neutral to suit your transmitter. Best set so that the relay is off at neutral to reduce current used - the relay will take about a quarter of an amp.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:14 AM
cardor

Tried that, any slight turning of the adjustment screw on the controller box or the trim on transmiter, kicks it to forward or reverse. I've fiddle and fiddle, with no success . Could the relay be bad in the controller box? can using it with that clicking make something else go bad?
Old 11-22-2008, 06:02 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

If you substitute a servo for the ESC, and that works OK I would say that the ESC is broken.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 AM
cardor

Hi, and thanks to mfr02 . I think you got it right . I took the controller apart and I did find a transistor or something that looked black and cracked in half. So I guess that's the problem . Do you think Radio Shack or some electrical place can identify the type and size and replace it ? Has anyone ever tried to do something like that ? or do I just trash it ?
Old 11-22-2008, 11:27 AM
pompebled

Hi Cardor,

Could you show us a (in focus) picture of the part that is defective, maybe one of the 'electronically gifted' on this forum can tell you what part it is.
A few pics of the complete ESC circuitboard wouldn't hurt either.

Regards, Jan.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:28 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to know if the black thing is really clicking. Could it be a relay ? Big ESC's often have relays. Could be a struggling relay. The neutral deadband adjustment may be very sensitive.

Disconnect the motor. Is the click the same sound & coming from a relay or little box on the circuit board ? Transistors do not click.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:15 PM
cardor

First off I'd like to apologize to all who responded . It's NOT the esc thats clicking ,it's the motor trying to engage to forward or reverse., it does not come to a complete stop. Tried trimming and adjustment on controller, cannot get it to stop dead, keeps trying to engage . That's the noise I hear. (like pulsing to engage) . Sorry ,for the wrong information. Although there is something burnt out in the controller . The part in the picture with the arrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34360.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1077595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21209.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1077596  
Old 11-23-2008, 07:56 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok.

You say it seems to run OK once you give it foward or reverse ??

If yes, run it. It appears as if the damaged part controlled the neutral sensitivity. Does not need to be fatal.
Worst case is a warm motor at neutral ?

Your choice.

Rich