Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Nitro engins

Old 06-02-2003, 03:44 PM
ronny
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro engins

i have a kyosho jet stream 800 and i would like to set it up for a nitro. so if any one knows can you give me some help.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:04 PM
turilla

Default Converting Jetstream to Nitro

Kyosho have stopped making the Jetstream series of boats but Tower still have a huge selection of parts for it. Obviously you're gonna need a water-cooled engine, I've found used Kyosho engines on eBay. The electric and nitro share the same hulls, but this is the basic list of parts you will need to order to convert to nitro.

KYOB4375 - Engine Mounting Plate
KYOB4420 - Drive Tube
KYOB4390 - Plastic Parts Set
KYOC4015 - Fuel Tank

On top of this you're gonna need some tubing, linkages, hardware and then get creative with mating the engine to the driveline if you don't use a Kyosho motor. Just for the parts alone you're looking at about $40 then add the cost of the motor onto that. So cost becomes an issue, you can find used nitro Jetstreams for that price if you look around.

I've done the conversion to a lot of Kyosho EP boats and it is pretty straightforward with a little patience and imagination but a lot of people would argue if it's worth the effort and cost when you can buy a used one for the same price of the conversion or cheaper. If I can help drop me an email or leave a message here.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:27 PM
ronny

Default Nitro engins

Thanks alot do you have any more info i would need.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:47 PM
turilla

Default Nitro engins

I do know a guy who modified the Kyosho engine mounting plate and put a TRX Pro 15 Marine into a Jetstream, but I have only used the Kyosho motors in my conversions. If you're going to do the conversion then I would go ahead and use a Kyosho motor for a direct fit and invest in an exhaust manifold cooling kit, not sure of the exact part number but I'll get it for you later, this will keep the engine and exhaust a little cooler.
The conversion is simple enough, best thing is to get prices on everything and see if it is worth it first of all and then get all the parts you need.
Dry-fit everything first and mark out locations!!!!! That is the best advice I can give you. Don't glue/epoxy or bolt anything to the hull until you are happy that everything fits together well.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:50 PM
ronny

Default Nitro engins

So would it be cheaper to buy a used nitro boat?
Old 06-03-2003, 02:02 PM
turilla

Default Nitro engins

Is the conversion worth it? That is a matter of perspective. If you have a hull in good shape and really want to get a nitro boat then the conversion is a good way to go as the Kyosho conversion is so easy to do in this particular boat. Good project also.

Honestly though, for the amount of money you're going to be spending on what is essentially a discontinued boat, I would sell the EP hull and use the money from the sale and the money you would be using for the conversion and buy a used Jetstream GP, Viper GT, Nitro Vee or something in that class.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:06 PM
ronny

Default Nitro engins

I have it posted but nobody wants to buy it.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:19 PM
turilla

Default Nitro engins

Might be time to put it up for auction then. Have you posted it on any other forums other than RCU?
What setup is in the boat? Do you have any pics?
Old 06-03-2003, 02:27 PM
ronny

Default Nitro engins

RCU is the only one, i dont know any more. It has dual team cam motors in it and a team novak t-4 speed control.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:16 AM
RcBoatLover

Default Nitro engins

You might want to save your electric boat for a rescue boat if your nitro one stalls. They work great to push it back. If you realy want to sell it, I would try E-Bay. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2003, 03:07 AM
hifonixs

Default Nitro engins

i mounted a 3.5cc k&b outboard on mine run fast but lots of torque roll to the left