Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

experimental ROCKET boat ...Now with video goodness!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

experimental ROCKET boat ...Now with video goodness!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 01:04 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default experimental ROCKET boat ...Now with video goodness!

I stumbled across this in a box lately, couldn't remember where I had put it. I built it maybe 17 years ago for small electric, got sidetracked and started playing with rocket motors on it. It has used everything from A size to D ! I don't think I have to tell you how ugly the D attempts went ...although I did find out that a model rocket motor will sometimes run under water longer than you would think ,

It turned out in testing that a long running C size was best if I recall correctly. I used to sit the boat on a platform, barely below the surface of the water, aim it out into the pond and set it off. After playing with the thrust line a bit I got it working pretty good, but things go bad quick ! It takes off with an insane acceleration then its just screams out on a plane, then typically starts doing some chine walking...then you never know, usuually it starts doing sort of a gallup that gets bigger and bigger, or it might go into a barrell roll or end over end flip .....

Anyhow I stumbled onto you tube one time and realized there are a few guys posting similar boats and remembered mine ...I doubt I invented the idea but I Had an early version of one..
I am posting a couple pics of it, I think the kit was a HOT SHOT ? I also have a adjustable screw for the motor thrust line..Hope you like it !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46717.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1096384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19196.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1096385  
Old 12-25-2008, 03:07 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: My old experimental ROCKET boat ...

Cool! I probably would have put the motor down near the deck (probably under it) to get the thrust vector in line better. Nice job!

Andy
Old 12-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We want video!!
Old 12-25-2008, 04:00 PM
RaceCraftRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL thats cool , I have been messing around with a pulse jet powered Miss Bud ( 1/12 dyna) It is good to be diffrant!!
Old 12-25-2008, 04:16 PM
foodstick

I have video, but I haven't a clue which of about 30 tapes its on, One funny fact is the day my old camera gave up the ghost we were shooting rocket boat footage.... I actually have the thrust line tuned pretty darn good, by the end of the run its just going so fast without rudder, trim tabs , fins....it gets nutz. undoubtly the best part of the launch !
Old 12-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Apismelifera

Sounds like fun. Do you know what it weighs in ounces? I'll guess that it's light.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:17 AM
foodstick

Heres the link ! Found it, and put together what little I had..some funny audio in there as well,
Without weighing it I doubt it weighs 9 oz.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B0ZKCJ...e=channel_page
Old 12-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: experimental ROCKET boat ...Now with video goodness!

Hahahaha, that was very entertaining!

When the boat went straight, it really accelerated like a beast!!
Old 12-26-2008, 11:05 AM
foodstick

I had much more video of it, but as you can see in some of the clips the camera started going bad...and I ended up having to toss it..I lost some other GREAT video that day.. A friend was out in the middle of the pond in an inflatable raft going for his boat, another guy was circling the raft with a small hydro, when he accidently drove straight into him puncturing the boat. The guy rowed as hard as he could but he started sinking down butt first until only his head and legs weres ticking straight up, and the oars were also, he couldn't even get them in the water.. He had to bail out and swim for it, it was HYSTERICAL...

by the way I did weigh the boat 13 oz.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: foodstick
A friend was out in the middle of the pond in an inflatable raft going for his boat, another guy was circling the raft with a small hydro, when he accidently drove straight into him puncturing the boat. The guy rowed as hard as he could but he started sinking down butt first until only his head and legs weres ticking straight up, and the oars were also, he couldn't even get them in the water.. He had to bail out and swim for it, it was HYSTERICAL...
Not to be a downer on this parade but -

A model boater died recently when his inflatable was punctured by another model. Dont think there was much laughter as his dead body was pulled from the water by police divers.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._/ai_n16431372

Really not the kind of publicity we need in this hobby.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:35 PM
foodstick

Oh I agree completely..but as the guy that was in the sinking life raft has told me MANY times..

"You can't idiot proof the world because Idiots have a genius for screwing things up"

That being said, everyone involved new it was stupid after it happened, and it was discussed until hard feelings were soothed and it was agreed not to occur again. And my friend got a new boat...

The whole boat thing sprung up out of nowhere with a local rc car racing group, I think that was the very first day half of the guys boats had touched water, we parked out on a private ponds edge, and I don't think there was much worry about anything that day. but we did discover that there were safety issues that no body had discussed ....
Old 12-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Apismelifera

In a couple of the video segments it looks like you were using rocket motors with an ejection charge. The engine runs it course and then produces a brief flame from the front of the engine. Boyhood friend of mine used those in his three-stage model rocket. Stages one and two. Ignighting the ā€œFirst Stageā€ launched it, then when it finished it fired the ejection charge and simultaneously detached itself from the rest of the rocket and ignighted the ā€œSecond Stageā€.

Ever thought of trying two rocket motors in that manner?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:55 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

That was Cool[8D]
Old 12-31-2008, 02:55 PM
foodstick

I am not sure if the two stage motor would work out well, as usually at the end of the run the boat is so insanely out of control ! If it was still upright there is no way knowing what direction it would be heading...IF it all worked out it would be pretty dramatic to watch !