Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie here with a boat and some questions....

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Newbie here with a boat and some questions....

Old 02-07-2009, 03:05 AM
96turboracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here with a boat and some questions....

Hey everybody, just wanted to post a short intro and ask some questions. I'm a comlete newb at this stuff, so you might have to walk me through a few things. But I appreciate any help I can get.

First off, my name is Sky- and I'm just finishing up my chopper build-

What the bike started off as:

What it looks like now:

If you're at all interested in reading about that build go here:

http://www.chopperweb.net/forum/show...threadid=22238

But anyway, now that's almost done, and I was looking for a smaller project to work on over summer. I remembered that I had an old R/C hydroplane at my parents house still, so I went back a few weeks ago and picked it up.

Here's the history on it. It was originally purchased at a swap meet on the Oregon coast somewhere in the neighborhood of 1992ish for my older brother, he never did anything with it, and I inherited it around 1996, and I never did anything with it either.

The thing is, I'm wondering if any of you have ever seen this model boat before, or could give me any info on it at all?

It took some hits over the years as you can see, but I'm sure the hull itself is fixable:

That's also my sweet green paint job I did when I was 11

The boat also came with a K&B 3.5 engine. Heck if I know just how old this motor is. I do know that sometime around 1995 we got it running, I think it's still a runner, it's not seized or anything like that.

If anyone could give me some info on these engines I'd greatly appreciate it.

Obviously I've got a fair amount of work to do, but that's the fun isn't it? So again, any hints or tips that you could provide would be appreciated, and thanks for welcoming a new member to this hobby!

Sky
Old 02-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Newbie here with a boat and some questions....

Lots of views but no replies so far. First, interesting scooter you've got there. I don't see too many of those around except for one guy a few blocks away who is a Norton fan.
OK, to the boat. I've got no idea who made it but by the looks of it, it wasn't origianlly made for the outboard otherwise the rear sponsons would have been a lot larger.
The K&B .21 is really vintage, even in R/C boat years. I'm guessing late `70's, early `80's. There aren't a whole lot of parts left around for the lower unit but should be a lot for the engine as it's kind of the small-block Chevy of R/C boats. I do have the lower case halves that I picked up years ago at a swap meet but the drive is going to be the hard part to find. The good news is that the engine can be bolted right on to a newer lower if need be.
Now, as far as the total package goes, I'd save the hull as there really isn't a lot you can do with it. I'm wondering how it ran in the first place without sinking as it appeared to have had a lot of weight on the rear.
If the engine runs fine then maybe find a nice outboard tunnel hull to bolt it to. Saw a few on eBay or go to the new Aquacraft VS-1.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 AM
96turboracer

Thanks Ron I appreciate the reply!

I don't think we've ever had the boat in the water running before, I can totally see what you're saying about it having so much rearward weight, I was almost thinking about adding some weight to the nose to offset it.

I definitely don't want to waste my money trying to make something work that won't perform, so I appreciate the advice.

Sky

Oh, and the bike is actually a Yamaha XS650, whoever had the bike in the past took a stock tank and painted Norton on it.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

OK, I see the Yamaha on it now. Is that one of the old 650's from the early `70's? Rode one of those and about vibrated my eyeballs out! It looks like you've got hydraulics or pneumatics on the swingarm. I don't claim to know a lot about motorcycles but have driven everything from mini-bikes to choppers.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:04 AM
96turboracer

yep, I built a full air-ride system for it. No kickstand, it just sets down on the frame when you park it. Was pretty tricky to get it right.

Seems like everyone I talk to had one of these bikes at one point or another. Works for me, lots of parts available [8D]
Old 02-08-2009, 12:13 PM
rcgreenhornet

I think you should paint it and place on desk then go get a enforcer