Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Boating Question; Please Help!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Boating Question; Please Help!

Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 PM
flynut007
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boating Question; Please Help!

I have been into airplanes for many years, and have now bought my first boat. I would like to use my same transmittor for my boat. Are there any issues using 2.4 for boats? Would appreciate any feedback. Are there any range issues with the boat being so low to the ground using the 2.4 recievers?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-08-2009, 05:04 PM
AndyKunz

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Boating Question; Please Help!

You shouldn't have any trouble. There's no legal boundary like there is for 72/75.

The key is to keep your antenna high up. Depending on the rx you are using, this might be difficult, so a receiver upgrade might be necessary. Remember, though, that both Futaba and Spektrum have different protocols that prevent you from using any rx with any tx. You'll need to stick with aircraft rx's compatible with your tx.

Andy
Old 02-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DHSS Hoping is very reliable, But there is a ton of info here on the forum. I had the same question months ago, And found that RX and TX that have a freq hopping ability are reliable. Like the fasst futaba system. Others are not reliable. So i sold my M-11 and went to a 4pk fasst system. Some people including myself had problems with range from the spektrum system.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 PM
flynut007
My Feedback: (31)

My plans are to use the AR9000 Spektrum receiver with two satellite receivers. Did not know how the 2.4 would react with something low on the ground.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 PM
ghostofpf1

From what I've read about Spektrum is that the older DSM sets weren't optimized for water usage but the DSM2 ones are.I use a DSM2 Spektrum with good results but have to remember that trees and high banks can block out the signal
HTH
Steve
Old 02-09-2009, 06:16 PM
rcgreenhornet

ok this ant going too sound silly now my cat chewed off about 1 1/2 inches off my reciver antena spelled right ??antena well i was told you should never cut or add on to your antena what shoud i do recever go with gas m/5 boat please help
Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 PM
misshydro

I know that story to well!!!LOL!!! I have a big blond cat that loves to do that to my boats attenas too.So I beat his butt five time!! You would think he would get it!!Not!! So I'd switch over to metal ones..
Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

I'd skin the cat and not worry about it again, but that's me. Getting back to radio sets, I know people were having problems with the RF signal reflecting off the watter and loosing control of the boat with the Spectrum. Since I don't have anything but Futaba gear, I haven't kept current on any changes. I do know that the twin antenna FASST receiver has been flawless since it was introduced a while back, so that would be my first choise regardless of any other equipment I already had
Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 PM
dicko

The Airtronicd FHSS and DSSS systems are suited for water applications, I emailed their tech support centre to check before I bought the DSSS system to replace the spektrum module for my M11. I had issues with the Spektrum pro module in my M11 radio & decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Here's a copy & paste of their reply.

Hi Jason,

Our MX3 FHSS uses a frequency hopping system, while our M11 DSSS uses a direct sequence system. Many people have used both radios in boats with great success. Our Product Manager advised me that both should work fine, but the MX3 FHSS has a slightly higher power output which would give you a little more range.

-Farrell

Global Services
18480 Bandilier Cir
Fountain Valley CA 92708

Ph: 714-963-0329 (9 AM-3 PM PST, M-F)
Fx: 714-964-6236
Email: [email protected]