Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

A couple of "why do you do it" questions;

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

A couple of "why do you do it" questions;

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:19 PM
twindaddy66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of "why do you do it" questions;

Hi all...been a while. I am getting ready for time on the water here soon and I have a couple of general questions:

1. Why is it that people recommend "scuffing" the hull bottom with very fine sandpaper? Isn't slicker better? I dont know of any full size boaters that do this...

2. Why flex shafts? Has anyone experemented with a more rigid set up...like a drive shaft? With all the rigid shafts in the RC car/truck industry, looks like something would be compatable???

3. My SuperVee27 has been sitting for about 9 months, I did the required "winterizing" with the after-run oil, etc. This will be my first "over the winter-first time start in the spring deal......what should I expect the first time I try and start her up?

4. Also looking to get a big gasser. My 1st choice WHH Magnum 57, second choice, ProBoat Shockwave55 or Blackjack55, third..Venom King of Shaves, and only reason this is third is because of lack of clutch and water pump. I dont care to hear why I dont need a clutch...I want one and thats that. Who likes what..and yes I have searched everything..

Thanks
John
Old 02-22-2009, 04:45 PM
pompebled

Default RE: A couple of "why do you do it" questions;

Hi John,

1) scuffing the bottom makes the waterfilm stick to the boat once in the water, water on water has less resistance than a smooth waxed surface; I've tested it with two similar sized hulls, the scuffed one was always quicker.

2) flexshafts are not better that solid ones, but it makes it possible to move the motor further towards the transom and still have a shallow propangle; all my boats have solid shafts, I'm converting them to brushless and Lipo's and I'm finding out it's a RPITA to get the CoG right, due to the lighter motors and batteries.

3) The only winterizing for my FE is pulling the shaft and greasing everything that might rust. IC engines could do with the same.

4) My biggest gasser is a 25cc Homelite, no clutch. I know they are out there...

Regards, Jan.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 PM
cheesewizz69

ORIGINAL: twindaddy66

Hi all...been a while. I am getting ready for time on the water here soon and I have a couple of general questions:

1. Why is it that people recommend "scuffing" the hull bottom with very fine sandpaper? Isn't slicker better? I dont know of any full size boaters that do this...

2. Why flex shafts? Has anyone experemented with a more rigid set up...like a drive shaft? With all the rigid shafts in the RC car/truck industry, looks like something would be compatable???

3. My SuperVee27 has been sitting for about 9 months, I did the required "winterizing" with the after-run oil, etc. This will be my first "over the winter-first time start in the spring deal......what should I expect the first time I try and start her up?

4. Also looking to get a big gasser. My 1st choice WHH Magnum 57, second choice, ProBoat Shockwave55 or Blackjack55, third..Venom King of Shaves, and only reason this is third is because of lack of clutch and water pump. I dont care to hear why I dont need a clutch...I want one and thats that. Who likes what..and yes I have searched everything..

Thanks
John
1) Scuffing helps release the water tension holding the hull onto the water.
2) One reason is the angle or bends required to get the proper prop aligment, second is the flex shaft acts a a shock abosrber so the loads are lessened on the crank.
3) If you did the winterizing correctly you should have no problems getting the engine running properly. I would run a bit rich for the first tank.
4)My choice would be WHH. Support, build and value.

I am sure others will chime in.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:02 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hi
what # sand paper do you use, i have a painted hull of ply wood and balsa and then fiberglassed thanks rye
Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
pompebled

Don't sand in circles, just strokes lengthwise.
If the surface looks dull, you're done.

Regards, Jan.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

1. It aerates the hull making tiny bubbles (I feel a song breaking out!) so that the hull has less stiction (yes, it's a real word) to the water. Look at the hull of a sailboat, the good ones have a rough surface.
2. Solid shafts are a PITA to adjust if you need to raise or lower the prop.
3. Hard starting and a lot of smoke.
4. Do want to you want to do and buy what you want. You're the one who has to be happy or disappointed with your purchase.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Racer21

I never thought of scuffing up the hull...makes perfect sense to me now! Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-25-2009, 12:18 AM
twindaddy66

As always, good info! One would think that "slicker is better", and that goes against what one has always practiced, but if all the big boys are doing it to the big boats, then it guess it works!...the sanding that is....

PS:::: anyone know of any video on backcutting props? I searched youtube, but I amy be searching for the wrong title...

Thanks again everyone
John
Old 02-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know of any videos but maybe this will help you out, http://rcboat.com/prop.htm . rcboat.com's forum site is history but fortunately their technical area is still online.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:18 AM
t00fatt

I'm a new boater and love my magnum 57, you really can't beat the quality of a WHH hull. They are a bit heavier, but also that much stronger. My magnum 57 with an M5 saw 41 in rough water, with rough trim and stock prop this weekend. It was the first time I GPSed so I'm hoping for 44mph or 45mph on a calm day with some tuning. If you decided to not go with a WHH boat, stay away from the pro-boats they cut ever corner possible.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 PM
twindaddy66

Thanks Ron!.....Good info!

I'm seeing mixed opinions on proboat...so far more negative (not by much). My first choice WOULD be the WHH, but since my tax bracket went up, my refund aint what I thought it was gonna be.....may have to either wait til next year or go with a Rio....dunno yet.

John
Old 02-27-2009, 10:41 AM
DJLaPalme

Twindaddy66, Wait till you can buy the WHH boat. Better quality, better support, and better service. Tony has been in this bussiness a long time. Must be doing something right. Also hull is U.S. manufactured, not Chinese poop. Dennis