Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

zen queston

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:43 PM
TEAM TWISTED NEVADA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zen queston

hey me again. i have a zen 26, and im taking the clutch off and putting a collet on. i dont have piston stop for gasser. what can i use to hold the piston to put this collet on?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: zen queston

Just put a 5/8ths wrench on the collet and tighten down the allen bolt. It will snug up just fine.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:49 AM
danielplace

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Just put a 5/8ths wrench on the collet and tighten down the allen bolt. It will snug up just fine.
This is exactly correct. The taper alone will grip the crank as you tighten it. DO NOT use a piston stop to hold the crank for any purpose especially tightening the collet or
the flywheel. The cranks twist Very easily.

Thanks Daniel
Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 AM
TEAM TWISTED NEVADA

k, thank you very much.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Dale P

Getting them back off can be the fun part!

Daniel is correct that a piston stop shouldn't be used unless you really have to. Don't put a wrench on each side of the crank shaft ether! Trust me I found out the hard way. Some times you do need to lock the piston when taking apart the engine, such as removing the starter pawl from the crank shaft. In a pinch you can put a piece of rope inside the cylinder threw the spark plug hole, or run down to the hardware store and buy your self a metric bolt. It's a 10 mm bolt and will cost you about $1.00 . The starter pawls aren't put on very tight so the pressure on your piston will be very minimal.

Good luck!

Dale P.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
01VIPER27
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTN you have e-mail.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 PM
danielplace

ORIGINAL: Dale P

Getting them back off can be the fun part!

Daniel is correct that a piston stop shouldn't be used unless you really have to. Don't put a wrench on each side of the crank shaft ether! Trust me I found out the hard way. Some times you do need to lock the piston when taking apart the engine, such as removing the starter pawl from the crank shaft. In a pinch you can put a piece of rope inside the cylinder threw the spark plug hole, or run down to the hardware store and buy your self a metric bolt. It's a 10 mm bolt and will cost you about $1.00 . The starter pawls aren't put on very tight so the pressure on your piston will be very minimal.

Good luck!

Dale P.
There is never a reason to hold the crank with the piston. If you are removing or reinstalling the flywheel you use a tool that holds the flywheel by the bolt holes in it.
The collet you remove with a tool designed to pull it right off while holding the collet with a wrench. You can also get the collet off by loosening the allen bolt inside about 3/16"
then putting the insert back in and tightening the outer nut while holding the inner. it will push the insert against the loosened allen bolt and pop it right off.
If you ever took a Zenoah apart and grabbed each couterweight with channel locks and saw how easy it is to trist one you would understand why it is imperative you NEVER HOLD
A CRANK WITH ANY KIND OF PISTON HOLDING DEVICE. You will chance twisting and ruining the crank or more if you run it that way. If the flywheel contacts the red coil it will toast it.
Engine will develop a high rpm miss. Wrist pin bearing or crank pin bearing will overheat and seize or break rod and destroy everything. JUST NOT WORTH TAKING A CHANCE.

Daniel
Old 03-04-2009, 11:59 PM
TEAM TWISTED NEVADA

thanks big guy for the info. i will not ever do that then. a gaser motor is definitely not like nitro motors. im a newwbie in the gas world.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Dale P

Daniel,

How do you remove the screwed on piece before the flywheel? I thought about making a tool to hold the flywheel so the part could be unscrewed, but never got around to it. My flywheel puller would get in the way if I tried to use it to hold the crankshaft while unscrewing the piece. Guess every one I have removed so far came off easily so I didn't feel bad about locking the piston, but your right, they can twist very easily.

Also, you mentioned a tool for removing the collet are you talking about the EZ Collet Remover tool that I make, or is there another tool that I don't know about?

The trick you mention to remove the collet does work, but I always had problems with it. Seemed like the inner piece would re tighten the set screw when I tried to tighten the outer nut. It took a few tries to get it to go. I also had problems with the inner piece getting damaged while doing this. It started to squish the end and I had to keep a old one laying around to use. That's when I came up with the tool to remove them. I got sick of fighting them.

Thanks,

Dale P.

Thanks! Dale P.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:17 PM
danielplace

ORIGINAL: Dale P

Daniel,

How do you remove the screwed on piece before the flywheel? I thought about making a tool to hold the flywheel so the part could be unscrewed, but never got around to it. My flywheel puller would get in the way if I tried to use it to hold the crankshaft while unscrewing the piece. Guess every one I have removed so far came off easily so I didn't feel bad about locking the piston, but your right, they can twist very easily.

Also, you mentioned a tool for removing the collet are you talking about the EZ Collet Remover tool that I make, or is there another tool that I don't know about?

The trick you mention to remove the collet does work, but I always had problems with it. Seemed like the inner piece would re tighten the set screw when I tried to tighten the outer nut. It took a few tries to get it to go. I also had problems with the inner piece getting damaged while doing this. It started to squish the end and I had to keep a old one laying around to use. That's when I came up with the tool to remove them. I got sick of fighting them.

Thanks,

Dale P.

Thanks! Dale P.
Dale to hold the flywheel while removing or reinstalling I have made a 1/8" thick X 1 1/2" wide X 12" long piece of aluminum that is notched(with a 1 1/8" hole saw with pilot bit right on edge) out to clear the starter dog with two bolts holding the flywheel.
Your right about the collet the tool is best. But if you use the collet nut to do it you can always hold that allen head bolt thru the center at the same time. CC racing has a nice flywheel holder/ puller/dog wrench that works nicely . I made a solid piece to go in the collet out of an old wrist pin because it will often mess up the insert.

Daniel