Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

I have a damaged MONO HUll that i need to repair the fiberglass from the inside.

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

I have a damaged MONO HUll that i need to repair the fiberglass from the inside.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Javier16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a damaged MONO HUll that i need to repair the fiberglass from the inside.

I have a damaged MONO HULL that i need to reapir . from the inside put i have no clue on how to seperate the top peace from the bottom peace of the hull .
Can anyone help me .
with hits and pic's
thanks.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: I have a damaged MONO HUll that i need to repair the fiberglass from the inside.

Um, it would help if we had pictures of the damaged areas.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Javier16

Default RE: I have a damaged MONO HUll that i need to repair the fiberglass from the inside.

its the front it hit head on ..
Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Dreamin Hemi

What boat do you have? What type of construction...composite or plastic? Typically the hull will get damaged if you attempt to separate the halves, this of coarse depends on the construction. Please take a picture and upload it.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Javier16

i have no way of taking pic's at the moment sorry.
i just need help on seperating the hull
Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Javier16

its a insane mono
its fiberglass.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Dan S

Which version is it, the Gen 1 and 2 have a lip where the top and bottom are joined and the Gen 3 is almost seamless.

I wouldn't recommend separating, contact Insane boats and ask them what they think how you should go about it.

Dan.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Dreamin Hemi

The Insane has a shoebox lid if I remember correctly. If you absolutely NEED to you can help free the lid by cutting under the lip however I doubt that would work since it probably has a strip of fiberglass in the inside..I could be wrong as I never noticed before on the Insane's I've seen. No way the repair can be made on the exterior and do some bodywork? I fear you will serously damage your hull if you attempt to split it open. I killed an Aeromarine hull 5 years ago attempting to do the same thing.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Javier16

yeah thanks for the help
i dont think so . but i worst i would need a new hull
so the only posible way would be to cut were it is seemed to the hull??
Old 03-11-2009, 04:16 PM
TCHedOff

Here's a thread you might find helpful. As an FYI, you do a search of this & the nitro forum for keywords like "fiberglass repair" and come up with more. Best 'o luck!

todd
Old 03-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Rocket-J
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Javier16

yeah thanks for the help
i dont think so . but i worst i would need a new hull
so the only posible way would be to cut were it is seemed to the hull??
First clean the hull inside and out. Then use acetone or laquer thinner to make sure there is no oil anyplace. If you can get your hand inside the hull, lay wide masking tape inside the cracked area. Push it down real tight and try to shape the hull as close as possible to the correct shape. Push in on all bumps. A little too far in is better than sticking out. Now gind off any spot that is sticking out from it's original shape. Make sure all paint is removed before you add any fiberglass to any area. Add more masking tape inside, if you have to. Now put one or two layers of the finest weave fiberglass cloth that you can find. As soon as it is dry enough to touch, remove the tape from the inside. If there is more than one damaged area, do only one area at a time.
Now you have a hull with its basic shape that can be repaired from the out side. Here is where you become and artist. Only apply one or two layers of cloth at a time. Then grind and sand it down to shape. Repeat until it looks like you want it. Have fun.