Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

JR Xs3 Not for Boat use!! no warranty!!!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

JR Xs3 Not for Boat use!! no warranty!!!

Old 06-13-2003, 02:11 PM
tat2ist
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Xs3 Not for Boat use!! no warranty!!!

After speaking with 3 JR representatives about this new JR XS3 synthesised receiver, I have gotten no where, and basicly wasted over $200 on this radio system. Apparently, according to JR reps, this receiver can not come in contact with ANY amount of moisture, or humidity. I flipped my boat (as I've done several times in the past few years of r/c boat racing), and the second this boat was retreived, this radio completely quit. No glitching, nothing at all. I bypassed the switch, and tried several battery packs, and still nothing. Any other receiver will usually withstand a certain amount of moisture, and once properly cared for, and dried, will run flawlessly. Not this one. GET IT WET, AND IT'S DONE, KAPUT!!! What does JR have to say about this.... well, they would be glad to SELL me another one, but REFUSE to warranty this product, even though it is brand new technology. They Advertise it in RC Boat Modeller magazine, yet tell me it cannot withstand humidity. Go Figure. Please be warned, and let my lesson be made for all of you. Stay away from this Radio like the Plague if you are running boats. As a matter of fact, they just lost my business completely for boats, cars and planes!!!! Poor judgement on their part I think.
a very PO'd
Dave.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:56 PM
RcBoatLover

What!!!!! I just bought one! What about Novak's multi channel reciever? Are they any good with water?
Old 06-18-2003, 04:22 AM
Ex-tech

I think the JR reps had every right to tell you what they did. If you would of read your warranty information, it will tell you what is covered under warranty, and water damage is not one of the defects. I've been using JR products for years and I have no complaints. Their service techs are totally professional and have treated me better than all of the others combined. Horizon service blows the competition out of the water.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:53 AM
gixer1k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C'mon guys, it's no secret water and electronics don't mix. It's very easy to waterproof a receiver. Put it inside a balloon and use a zip tie where the wires come out to seal it.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:54 PM
tat2ist

I waterproof my radio as much as possible. All receivers get wet in boats from time to time. The point is.... Futaba and Hitech receivers work when they dry out. JR xs-3 doesn't. PERIOD

Just trying to help fellow boat modellers here.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:06 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you look at any radio system makers warranty I think that you'll find that none of them cover water damage. It is because none of them are waterproof. Too many openings, the antenna wire, servo wire openings and the opening for the crystal. That is why I use Aeroplate in my recievers than bag them. If anyone would come out with waterproof recievers, I would buy a bunch of them.
BTW, I own about every brand of radio made, Futaba, Airtronics, Hi-Tec and JR.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:10 AM
Radamus

I know one guy who made a recvr waterproof~ he hooked everything up and encased it in beeswax in the box they come it. Worked great! the reason he did this, he only has saltwater to run in, so that is like death overnight even after a good washing, the salt is fierce on electronics.
To remove it you use a hair dryer slick idea for extreme cases.
I use corrosionX on it, I take it apart and apply it with a toothbrush to everything real good and then go to great lengths to make a water tight radio box. drop in a couple cotton torpedos (with lanyard) and a extra super maxi pad and it's good to go! Pack it in cotton I always say!
Old 06-19-2003, 02:56 AM
Ron Olson

A Tampon in the radio box and a Condom to wrap the reciever in! Try to explain that to your wife! I started using baby bottle liners to wrap my recievers in, a cheap way to do it. I cut them off at the 6 oz. line.
I don't know about the JR reciever, but I have one in a CEN Racing Grey Thunder that got wet and sat in my basement for about 2 weeks before I tried some Aeroplate on it. It was dead before I sprayed some in it and it brought the reciver back to life!
Old 06-21-2003, 01:04 AM
Heavy Throttle

I know my Novak XXL's, Futaba's and even Tower's recievers have seen some type of water, mud and dirt, even a totally soaked novak super rooster and they all came out working the next day after cleaning and drying. I guess the circuitry in the JR's just can't handle a short circuit.

The wax idea is a good one. I took apart a Traxxas Reciever apart a few months ago to replace the antenna on it and low and behold it was dipped in wax except for the servo connectors.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:27 PM
toonces

what is Aeroplate? is it like WD-40??
Old 06-22-2003, 08:08 PM
hpiguy

Originally posted by tat2ist
I waterproof my radio as much as possible. All receivers get wet in boats from time to time. The point is.... Futaba and Hitech receivers work when they dry out. JR xs-3 doesn't. PERIOD

Just trying to help fellow boat modellers here.

What an ingnorant statement. YOU got the receiver wet and this one happened to short. Big woop. Suck it up. It's not JR's fault you flipped your boat and didn't waterprof your stuff good enough.

I have had Futaba receivers go bad. So do I get to say that aLL Futaba stuff is junk? Nope, I'm more mature than that. When my Futaba shorted and stoped working I didn't bother to call them. I made the mistake and therefore I was responsible.

NO radio manuf. will warranty soaked equipment.

Take personal responsibility for this one.

If the radio works perfect when it was dry and new then JR did their job. Once YOU get it wet and it stops working it isn't their fault. It's YOURS.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:30 AM
Ron Olson

I've fried my share of recievers, I've got 2 dead Futabas in my basement along with a Hi-Tec. They were all bagged. This was before I got the Aeroplate.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:54 AM
hpiguy

That Aeroplate sure sounds like some great stuff.

I hear of so many people using it.

Can it be used on ESCs? Or just receivers......
Old 06-23-2003, 12:39 PM
Ron Olson

I haven't tried it in an ESC but I suppose that it would work. I had an Astro-flite ESC in my boats and it came waterproofed. It works great in servos. Remove the 4 screws and bottom cover, squirt in a few drops, close it back up and you're set.
On recievers, take the case apart then put the servo connectors and crystal back in before using the spray.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:34 PM
hpiguy

I found some dielectric lubricant that's sold at auto sores on the web last night.

Has the exact same properties as this Aeroplate (waterproof, dielectric lubricant, safe for circuit boards and plastics) but without the hobby level price gouging.

$6.99 for 16 ounce spray can at the auto site opposed to the horrendous $12.99 for 2 or 4 ounces of Aeroplate. I thought this stuff was some new product and turns out it's the EXACT same thing sold in auto shops for coating plug wires, distributor caps, etc from water. And it has been made and sold for 40+ years now.

Isn't it wonderful how the hobby sellers always take an everyday product, label it "for R/C use", and then stick it to the consumer.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:38 PM
Ron Olson

Yep. I've seen it done with everything from radio box tape to flex cable grease to tuned pipe clamps and so on.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:50 PM
hpiguy

One of the funniest things was Tower selling "epoxy mixing cups" 50 for $4.99.

At the bar I bounce in we can buy plastic shot glasses (same thing) from our wholesaler at 500 for $2.00.

I also love the "glue brushes" they sell 4 for 4.00 when you can get the same cheap metal handle brushes at a hardware store 10 for a buck.

If people would just look they'd ave some cash.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:58 PM
Ron Olson

Radio box tape for example. I've seen it for $5.00 and up a roll. I get mine at Walgreen's, Meijer's, K-mart and other Discount stores for under $5.00 for 2 rolls! It is the same stuff but under various names like window sealing tape. I've been using it for years now at less than half the price. I go through a lot of it with my fleet of racers. I get the Velcro tape at Walgreen's also in the same section of the store.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:12 AM
hpiguy

It would be cool to see this forum start a topic area where people list items sold as "R/C" that can be purchased cheaply elsewhere.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Ron Olson

Like we're gonna see that! Our best bet is to start a thread for cheap ideas or a tips and tricks type of area. All we need is someone to start it, then add our little secrets in there.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:20 PM
Ron Olson

Boy, is this your lucky day or what? Tom Moorehouse, the head honcho over on www.intlwaters.com just started just what you wanted on his site. If you're not a member, join up. The new big thing in there now are .12-sized outrigger hydros and small boats in general and also a huge section on outboards. I'm in there a lot, it's my #1 Favorite web site! OK, for R/C anyway.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:55 PM
Pagemaster

Sorry but its not JR's fault. R/c boaters have to take precautions before heading out. It saves lots of time and money!

Aeroplate isn't 100% guarantee that your rx wont short out.

I use this stuff If you care to try it out

Just for a test (if you dare) take your aeroplate rx and put it in a bowel of water while everything's still connected and see if or how long it works. Now take your conformal coated rx and try it. I can tell you I have and the conformal coated rec has won hands down. I rolled my new cat the other day and 2 minutes after getting all the water out, we were back testing with no glitches.

Steven Vaccaro
www.OffshoreElectrics.com
Old 06-25-2003, 02:43 AM
Ron Olson

I use Aeroplate because it was the easiest for me to get. The "Geniuses" at my LHS didn't know what it was until I had them order some for me. I really don't like to give any of them a test, especially on my FM recievers. But if you'd like to send me a can.............
Old 06-25-2003, 05:36 AM
hpiguy

And where do you get that stuff? Or stuff like it?
Old 06-25-2003, 08:49 PM
Pagemaster

Its about $20 per can but goes a long way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.