Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Sucky Nitro???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 02:06 AM
NitroMedic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sucky Nitro???

Good evening everyone,

I was curious about something. I'm just getting into the boating hobby and was wondering about the dependability of the marine nitro engine. Do you experience many problems with the engine dying just about the time you get 80 ft. or so from the dock?? I 've been running nitro off-road with 20% mixture for my HPI for about 2 yrs. now and I gotta say, it SUCKS trying to keep those things tuned to run!

Also, I'd like to hear any ideas as to what you've done to remedy the retrieval problem. Did you rig up a 2nd electric boat with a tow hook to go rescue the dead nitro in the water, or what?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-a-million,
Shayne
Old 06-14-2003, 03:25 AM
Dave Lilley

Default Sucky Nitro???

Here is a good electric for boat retrieval...(Do an internet search on "Hydro Joerg Mrkwitschka 100")...

His electric boat will get out across the lake at just over 100+ mph. Several sites have video of the runs.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default Sucky Nitro???

sounds like your doing your tuning on the shore, over heating the engine and then it trys to run the wrong mixture.
start it rich, throw it in, do a few passes past the dock, bring it in slow, then throttle up as your haelper catches it, lean it out till it goes well. worked for my boat now, after i went with a smaller prop that is.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:36 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Sucky Nitro???

At the minimum take along a fishing pole with a ball, fishing lure or something attched to hook onto the dead boat. I always take a 2-man inflatable boat with me. I get them at the local Dept. store for $20.00, a set of oars for around $7.00 more and a cheap 12 volt tire inflator for under $20.00.
Please, NEVER swim after a dead boat, people have drowned trying this stunt.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:07 AM
NitroMedic
My Feedback: (7)

Default Sucky Nitro???

Dave,

I've seen a couple videos of that guy and MAN is that boat fast!! I think I'd have a hard time keepin' that sucker throttled down enough to "creepy crawl" my dead nitro back to the shore. It would be tooooo tempting to open 'er up on the straight-away!

PhillyBaby,

Your info is much appreciated! I'll definitely keep that in mind when I go back to the river this weekend! Speaking of "nitro", what's your opinion on owning one?

Hey Mr. Ron,

I was actually thinking about goin' to Wal-Mart to p/u an inflatable raft with a couple boat paddles. I mean, I understand that "gas" boats are much less of a headache than "nitros" are but MAN the difference in speed capability between the two are incredible! Thank y'all for responding, guys!

Shayne
Old 06-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Cactus.

Default Sucky Nitro???

i wouldnt know, only had it a week, its a old hull with a MDS 38Aero engine with just a couple of winds of tube wrapped round for cooling, it over heats easy and on a 35mm prop revs its nuts off, i havent got the tuning right yet, brining it in slow, tweaking, sending out again over and over finds it eventually, but so far its good fun, esp on choppy days, we're looking to get real marine engines and better hulls soon maybe.
however, my electric sloopy is great fun, have a look at my web site ( link below ) to see it and vids
Old 06-15-2003, 05:23 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Sucky Nitro???

The .38 ought to be able to turn a bigger prop. Up it to around 42-45mm.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Cactus.

Default Sucky Nitro???

i said aero engine.. not marine, the aero wont turn it
i did try a 40mm first off, but it cooked and stopped, a friend runs a 37.5 on his with a better pipe.
i have a 35mm on mine for now, and a mini throttle pipe, im slightly slower, 37.5mm and i'll be there.
the 40mm was what the poor Merco that was in there had to turn, it had 35 on the case, that piston aint from a 35 thats for sure