Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Donzi Z65

Old 04-10-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donzi Z65

I am needing some assistance with some questions on assembling my Donzi Z65. For starters what type of resin is best used for this, and in the instructions it calls for mixing microballons in the resin. Where can this be found and what does it do?

Is most of your wood to wood assembly done with CA glue? and is the resin used to attach the wood to the hull?

been building for a couple of years but always called for wood glue. New to this type of build.

If anyone can help me out with this it would be great!

Thanks in advance
Old 04-11-2009, 11:11 AM
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: Donzi Z65

Hi,

Although some would disagree with me, polyester resin is what you want to use. Sig makes some pretty good stuff. The Dumas hulls are (or were) layed up using polyester & fiberglass. Epoxy will work, and doesn't have the terrible smell that polyester has (smells like a body shop) but in my experience doesn't work as well. Just remember to rough up any portions with a dremel or sandpaper you plan on joining. That way, it will get a good bite. If you are looking to install the stuffing boxes, bondo from an auto parts store works well. I prefer the stuff that is reinforced with fiberglass strands (extra strong) but regular old bondo works well.

Resin will join the f/g hull and wooden deck quite well. Just place the deck where you want it, secure thouroghly using tape and make a few pours of resin with the hull turned upside down. For a boat the size of the Donzi, I would probably mix up about 4 ounces of resin at a time. You can tell when the resin kicks off as it will heat up. Usually it heats up within 20 minutes or so. If you have any noticable gaps you can put modeling clay over those gaps and it will seal up the holes until the resin sets. Make several pours, and when you are sure you have all the deck joined to the hull you are done. Clean up whatever spilled out. Usually, the resin that spills out on the outside will not stick to the gel coat due to the wax used in the molding process, making it easier to clean up.

At least thats how I join the decks on any fiberglass hulls. Works very well for me.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:30 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subsinker has it right on. Dumas uses laminating resin to lay up their fiberglass hulls. That leaves you with a good surface to bond to with polyester resin. I built two of their 48 inch PT 109 boats and they have held together perfectly for many years. Zap-A-Gap CA+ was used for tall the wood joints.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73576.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1177806   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42659.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1177807  
Old 04-11-2009, 11:34 AM

Very nice boats you have there Dan. I especially like your transport!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:15 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Dreamin Hemi, The camouflaged boat weighs 21 pounds ready to go and the gray boat 18. Both are a handful to carry. I needed something and the wagon was the only thing I could think of at the time. It has since corroded into oblivion and now I am using something else. Dan.