Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Servo Set Up Question

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Servo Set Up Question

Old 04-14-2009, 06:49 PM
LouisMiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Set Up Question

Hi there folks, after a bit of help with a servo set up.

You may have to bear with me, anyone who has seen my other thread will know I'm a bit new to all this. [8D]

What I'm after is a single servo set up which is able to open two doors on the bottom of a boat at different times. I have a couple of images to help me explain:

Hopefully that can give an idea of the door system, I have drawn the second picture with the idea of having them hinged in the middle of the boat, but that isn't very important, hinged on either side is fine.

Now, first of all how would you suggest this setup could work? What sort of method could I use to hold the doors in place until I wish to open them? and what sort of servo would I be able to use for this?

Thank you in advance, look forward to any replies.

Regards,
Louis.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Servo Set Up Question

Try this simple setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85261.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1180446  
Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
LouisMiller

Ah I see, well I'm not very bothered about having the doors opened using motors, but using that type of servo I think I might able to set it so the the arm of the servo - instead of activating a switch like in that diagram, simply pushes a latch off a clip.

I think anyway.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

True I used this setup on a boat i worked on for light's and other stuff. Building a bait boat? Have you tried searching for "bait boat" in this forum.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:31 AM
LouisMiller

I may have to use this setup for my lights actually; I was planning on having a set of LED's on the boat and also a spotlight for the front. I wouldn't be needing them both on at the same time so I reckon, with an external switch to put power the lights if required this would work perfectly.

Yes I am buidling a bait boat, had a little search around and found a few threads, most threads have ended up abandoned half way through. Managed to get a bit of info from them though. [8D]
Old 04-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Tony Fitzpatrick

If it is a bait carrier,would it not be simpler to use the servo to tip over a left and right tray?

Tony
Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 PM
LouisMiller

Probably simpler in some respects, however with bait boats on the market that use that kind of system I have always found them to be not the most stable of craft; I've seen a few on the water and heard a few testimonys and this is the general view on them.

To be honest though, you can't get much simpler than something being knocked off a catch. [8D]
Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Might want to look into the new linear servo's out: [link=http://www.servocity.com/html/linear_servos.html]Servo City Linear[/link] Might be what can open/close the doors.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 186 Likes on 114 Posts

Another item - do you really have to close the doors after dumping? Can you not just drive back to shore (or to where you're located) and close the door manually? That will simplify even further any required actuation.

In this case, it is just a matter of making some sort of slider that will allow the door to drop open, dumping the contents. Drive back, close door manually, flip the switch on your radio to "doors closed", fill with goodies again, then drive out again and go dump some more... [8D]