Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Motor mounting Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Motor mounting Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:58 AM
damo83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mounting Question

Hi guys, I am currently building a shallow V monohull and am up to the stage of mounting the motor. I have a 26cc 2 stroke which i plan to mount at 30%. One thing that I don't understand is, in all the info that I have collated it states that the motor should be mounted as low to the keel as possible for stability reasons. This is fine, however when installing the stuffing tube isn't it necessary for the opening to be above the water line so that the boat does not take in water?? I have floated my hull with the motor clamped in place and the square drive ends up being below the water line. I am now afraid to saist the motor due to stability issues.

If someone could help hat would be great.

Thank you
Old 04-23-2009, 06:49 PM
brodjack

Default RE: Motor mounting Question

Hi,all boats will take onboard a bit of water.
My sons mono propshaft end sits below the waterline and possibly has the odd drop or two of water which comes up the tube when running,dont worry about it.
Dont forget to put ample grease on the flex shaft before every visit to the lake,and if youre concerned,every couple of tanks used.
Try to mount the motor as low as possible in the hull to keep the cofg low.
Brod...
Old 04-24-2009, 05:11 AM
damo83

Default RE: Motor mounting Question

Thanx brode, hopefully with the tube in ant the cable greeced up water intake will be kept to a minimum.