Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Boat Painting

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:26 PM
damo83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Painting

I hear that Polyurethane is the go for a durable paint job, However I was just wondering if any one has used any other paints and there theories. I a running a two stroke motor and the odd drop of fuel may be a problem with less durable paints. I would really would like to use an acrylic lacquer which is an automotive paint, so it should have some resistance to fuel. I would really like to stay away from urethane if if is possible.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: Boat Painting

Poly works great for wood boats. The acrylic lacquer you mention is better than poly in the sense that you avoid the yellowing problems associated with the poly. Let us know exactly what the surface is that you are wanting to paint so we can lead you the right direction......is it wood, fiberglass, plastic???
Old 04-24-2009, 09:09 PM
bondobuster

It is best to use a catalyzed product for fuel resistance. I would use your lacquer but then I would follow it with a clear coat. This will insure against fuel damage.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

What type of fuel are you using? Gas or nitro... I use PPG 2021 clear coat over any paint and it will withstand 65% nitro sitting on it. If you run lower nitro, you may get away with other paints that can't hold up to 65%. If you are running gasoline, then I would believe that any automotive type paint will work.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:32 PM
misshydro

acrylic laqcures wont hold up to nitro or gas!!! the paint or clear's thats needs to be cattalized.. I use urethanes paints that we spray on our autos..NAPA has a paint system called CROSSFIRE!! Dupont has a paint system called NASON and PPG has a system called platume.. All three are a buget line paints.. all are easy on your walet and are very great paint systems..If your using spray can or any type of laqcure paint,I would use one of those paint systems clears on it to help protect against the fuels and UV rays.. plus they will give you that showroom shine too!! Heres one of my boats I used dupi-color spray can on it them top it off with crossfire clear on it..won first place at fortwayne R/C show last year with it..and won this year with my oberto2..I do autobody&paint for aliving..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84923.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1186686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78145.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1186687  
Old 04-25-2009, 02:11 AM
damo83

Ive built the hull from ply and covered it with resin inside and out, I used cloth on the joints on the inside to strengthen them, I was talking to a guy in an auto paint shop and he recommended using an acrylic lacquer after using an appropriate undercoat to help it bond to the resin. , I am planning to spray 2-3 coats of clear over the top. I was told however that if I used lacquer, that I would have to use a lacquer clear over the top. Is it possible to paint it in lacquer and use a more durable clear over the top to give it resistance to the Fuel. I am not using nitro so the paint only has to withstand normal petrol.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:25 AM
misshydro

no laqcure clears in time will lift....I should know this very well..I'd used laqcure on a mini bike and in a week or so the paint lifted around the filler neck area...your best bet is to use automotive clear on it.. Urethanes is your best bet or imorons or epoxy clear..you can clear over laqcures with urethanes.. you cant laqcure over urethanes.The laqcure paint is to hot for it and will lift in a heart beat...Just use a gray scotch bright pad to scuff the color for the urethane clear to stick to the laqcure then clear it...most of us are using urethane clears on our boats..
Old 04-28-2009, 01:37 AM
srw1960

Hydro is telling it straight..lacquers will not hold up against any kind of nitro like hydro said it wont even stand gasoline getting on it..drop the coin and go with acryllic urethanes not expensive easy to work with and fantastic result almost bullet proof paint..