Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Needs suggestions

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Needs suggestions

Old 05-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Sh4neW4t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needs suggestions

Hey, i know this is such a common thread but i am new to rc boating and i was interested in getting an electric rc boat to mess around with. Im not looking for anything expensive, and by that i mean, $50-$100 shipped. I was just wanting some suggestions as to what brand's and/or model's i should look at. Thanks, Shane
Old 05-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Needs suggestions

You can get the Zig-Zag Racer or the Reef Racer from Aquacraft or Horizon Hobby but if you can afford to spend about $120.00 then you can move up to much better boats.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:35 AM
boatboy93

Hello Shane,
Depends on what type of R/C water craft you are looking to get into. Fast electric R/C boat racing or R/C scale ship modeling. If your looking at R/C scale ship modeling a good model to to possibly start with might be the Lindberg "Blue Devil" destroyer. 1/125th scale, 36", nice size to work with for starting. You can usually pick one up on ebay for $50 to $70 and use a good but cheap 2-ch radio. It will be a easy, but good model to start you into R/C ship building and give you some taste into some minor modeling (being how it is a plastic model) setting up the electrics, motors, servos, rudders, batteries, ballasting and things like that, that are basic but are essental to R/C ship modeling first off. Plus it will give you a good idea of is this where you want to go or is Racing where you might want to be. With R/C ship modeling it gets very deep after awhile once you get more into it. It's more time consuming, more detailing, you get involved into more research for your project plus alot more feeling of satisfaction as it comes along into different stages of building. The bigger the project, the more time involved, more detailing involved and the more compliments you will get the better looking it gets. I'm not saying electric or gas boat racing isn't fun, I've done that and it's a blast. But having sailed on the big ships in the Navy there is alot of satisfaction at looking at a completed model of a ship you sailed on as it cruises across the local lake or pond and people go "WOW", that is awesome looking and you can also look into building commercial ships too not just navy warships. There is a vast world of ships to build including foriegn navies, hundreds of different commercial vessels!
You may also look large scale plastic US Navy PT boats or German Schnell boats. 1/48 scale or 1/35th scale. Trumpter models (I think it is Trumpter) recently came out with a 1/35th scale model of a German torpedo schnell boat. Really super model. But at a cost of over $200 or maybe even over $300. That would give a taste of R/C ship modeling & R/C boat racing at the same time. Very detailed plastic model, power it right and it would scream across the water.
Another good website to check out is "Model Warships Underway" or check out the Scale Shipyard and look at there products for an idea of future ideas and then go to the links and check out some of those links.
Good luck
Ed/hemlock-10
Old 05-07-2009, 12:47 PM
mineralvann

i wanna recomment the aquacraft mini rio with a shockwave 26 prop, it gets up on plane fast and has good speed for an rtr and turns on a dime