Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which radio system is Better?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Which radio system is Better?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:07 AM
rblubaugh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which radio system is Better?

O.K., I'm looking to buy a new radio system for my boats. Looking at either the Spektrum DX7, 2.4 GHz OR the Futaba 7C, 2.4 GHz, which do you ladies and gentlemen think is the better system and why.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input, from those who are more experienced than I.

Bob
Old 05-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which radio system is Better?

Why are you looking for a 7 channel boat radio??

Beyond that, the Futaba FASST radios have proven to be very robust in boats. There are a very large number of Futaba 3PM FASST radios and they are working very well.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:25 PM
AndyKunz

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Bob,

There are a number of scale boaters using the Spektrum stick radios for boats. You can download manuals off the web. Find the one that will meet your needs for functionality and use it.

BTW, your cross-post on RCGroups Dock Talk gorum is probably going to yield more answers. The group is very active and you see a lot of posts every day from informed users.

Andy
Old 05-11-2009, 02:15 PM
empty_space

If you want to use 2.4 ghz, then horzon hobby does have tx that are the standard 2 channel remotes. Like this one
DX2.0 DSM 2CH Pistol
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPM20200
Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Stampedekid

Yeah personally me, I don't see why to get a 7 channel radio for a boat unless its very advanced but for my land/sea vehicles I personally use pistol style grip radio. You can get the DX2.0 for only $129 at most hobby shops and on Amainhobbies and the DX3.0 for $169 at both those places too. I like the Spektrum Systems but I also like the feel and use of Airtronics and Futaba.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd go with the FASST radio as the Spektrum doesn't work well on water. I've seen too many people lose their signal.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:37 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

I use four channels to control this boat... Five if you include fire monitors.
I could have used the sixth channel for lighting, but I switch the lighting
manually. That saves the six channel for possible winch control during
towing competitions. I can't see how I would do this with less than
four channels... They tie my tug up sideways during barge competitions.

Twin throttles for the separate starboard bow and port stern azimuthing drives.
Throttles are the left sticks on my DX6, and the drives steer 270 degrees on the right stick.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41534.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1196700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70280.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1196701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36753.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1196702  
Old 05-12-2009, 07:47 AM
AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I'd go with the FASST radio as the Spektrum doesn't work well on water. I've seen too many people lose their signal.
Ron,

I'd say you saw too many people who didn't properly install the receiver. I have used SR3000's and SR3100's in small outriggers to 750' away, and that's only because it's all the farther I can see on my L-shaped lake (and I can't see it well enough to drive that far away - 300' is plenty far enough). At the hobby shop I've seen receivers from The Other Brand buried in a 1/4 scale car and it was lucky to have 50' range. Poor installs will kill ANY kind of signal - and at 2.4g it's much, much, MUCH easier to screw it up. It's not like you can bury 8" of your 75MHz antenna any more - you have to get the whole active antenna out where the rx and tx and see each other.

With an SR3000 I mount the rx right at the base of the antenna so that the antenna is about as fully extended in the antenna mast as possible. On the SR3100's it's even easier because the active portion of the antenna is only the last 1.5" or so of the 8" antenna, so I can still mount the rx up front and have an arrangement very similar to how it was in the old days of 75MHz. I posted pix of the installs over on the forum at www.OffshoreElectrics.com if you're interested.

That said, Spektrum has a note on their website saying they're working on a Marine system. That should make it even easier to get it right.

Andy
Old 05-12-2009, 10:17 AM
rblubaugh

Thanks for the replys, so far.

Umi Ryuzuki hit the nail on the head for my reasons for wanting a 7 channel system AcespeedBoat and Ron. There's more than left, right and motor control in R/C boating, at least from my point of view. Just like there's more than rudder, elevator and throttle on an airplane, once you learn to fly any way.

With the new DSM2 that Spektrum has, four antenna's instead of one, I think they might have the reflection problem on water almost solved. Obviously they are still concerned enough about any possible problems to be working an a Marine system. I can only hope there is an upgrade of some sort rather than investing in another system.

Andy, I've tried to look for your pix of the SR3000 and 3100 installs on Off Shore Electronics (of which I'm a member), but couldn't seem to locate them. I'm sure that's just because I don't know how to navigate my way around the forum.

While it looks like I am leaning toward Spektrum, I want you to know I own a Futaba T6EXA system and I'm quite satisfied with it. But now I'm looking for a system for boats and want some outside opinions, consequently my original question.

Thank you for your individual input, each and every one. I hope there will be a few more in the mext few days. Your comments are taken seriously.

Bob
Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 PM
AndyKunz

Try this:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...gger#post69028

Andy
Old 05-12-2009, 04:31 PM
malicent

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Ron,

I'd say you saw too many people who didn't properly install the receiver. I have used SR3000's and SR3100's in small outriggers to 750' away, and that's only because it's all the farther I can see on my L-shaped lake (and I can't see it well enough to drive that far away - 300' is plenty far enough). At the hobby shop I've seen receivers from The Other Brand buried in a 1/4 scale car and it was lucky to have 50' range. Poor installs will kill ANY kind of signal - and at 2.4g it's much, much, MUCH easier to screw it up. It's not like you can bury 8" of your 75MHz antenna any more - you have to get the whole active antenna out where the rx and tx and see each other.

With an SR3000 I mount the rx right at the base of the antenna so that the antenna is about as fully extended in the antenna mast as possible. On the SR3100's it's even easier because the active portion of the antenna is only the last 1.5" or so of the 8" antenna, so I can still mount the rx up front and have an arrangement very similar to how it was in the old days of 75MHz. I posted pix of the installs over on the forum at www.OffshoreElectrics.com if you're interested.

That said, Spektrum has a note on their website saying they're working on a Marine system. That should make it even easier to get it right.

Andy

Andy,
In the group i run with 5 of us have gotten rid of the spectrum system due to radio failure, I personally thrown my 2.0 in the trash and my 3.0 in the test pond if you like them so much i have a RX ill sell ya pm me! The fasst system I have had not even one glitch with.

Jeremy
Old 05-12-2009, 05:35 PM
rblubaugh

Andy,

Thanks for the link. I went there and read the entire thread so I understood what I was looking at. What you said in word made sense but the picture needed the story for clarification. Any way, I got the picture (pun intended)

Bob
Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 AM
AndyKunz

Glad to be of help, Bob. The general principles apply to any radio system, 2.4 or 75 or 27.

Andy
Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Cast my vote for the 2.4 FASST. Have a 3PM and tested it long range at a very large pond...I could only see a rooster tail, never an issue and always felt like I had great control.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:10 AM
dv8lst

Well,
I put my boat in the water for the first time tuesday. I had the 3PM 2.4 fasst in it. I tested it on land, was fine. It got about 50 ft away on water and I lost all control. boat took off full speed on a slight arc. It came around, just missed the seawall, jumped up on land and the boat cut off. This was in the rio that I just put together. My freind has a rio with a dx2 set up the same way for a year and has never had a problem. It's funny because I have a spektrum, but I bought the 3PM because I heard it was better on the water. I don't know what the deal is with it. Now I don't if I want to put my spektrum in it or put in something else.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Dan S

dv8,

check your system over, make sure you have as much of the coax out of the boat and that the last 1 1/2" is straight out of the boat because that is the actual antenna.

make sure you run a 5cell pack and not just 4.
make sure you set your failsafe, with the failsafe set your boat would not have done what it did.
and it is possible that you may have a dud/bad Rx, I only have heard of a bad Rx twice but it is always a possibility.

Dan.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:35 AM
rblubaugh

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it very much. After weighting your input and that fromothers plus my own research I've decided to go with the DX-7. Next, tofind a system!

Bob