Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Want to build my first boat...

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Want to build my first boat...

Old 05-29-2009, 11:16 AM
cgutzmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to build my first boat...

Hello

I want to try building my own boat

I am a long time card modeler and I want to utilize that skill set. I want to build the model out of light cardboard rather than balsa and finish it off in traditional RC boat methods. I am considering skinning the hull with paper as well then using some kind of clear coat to waterproof the model.

Any thoughts on this? I am also looking for some kind of basic tutorial to help step me through the whole process of building my first boat. I am hoping to build a small boat about 20 inches. Either a deep vee (like wildthing) or some kind of round/shovel nose hydro.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks!
Chris
Old 05-29-2009, 01:21 PM
sportygreg
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Want to build my first boat...

If you register {free} at rcpowerboat forum they have downloadable plans for some nice small boats.I built the Predator and classic Roundnose shovel but used balsa and 1/32 ply.I guess you could use card stock as long as the framework is sturdy.Some plans have step by step instructions.The pdf plans can be enlarged to 100% and printed using current view in Adobe but you have to do it in sections and piece it together.Another option is Kinko's-have them print full size plans from the pdf.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:28 PM
cgutzmer

YEAH! I just downloaded a few from there I am leaning towards wildthing mostly because it looks a bit easier
Chris
Old 05-29-2009, 03:30 PM
rcbif

I'm building my first boat now It's an 18 inch crackerbox (ish) style boat. Check it out here............
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35141

Old 05-29-2009, 03:34 PM
cgutzmer

Very nice! Thats a good style boat too
Chris
Old 06-04-2009, 01:00 AM
srw1960

I can certainly apreciate thinking outside the box..BUT cardboard and tissue paper and dope???????????this isnt rubber band powered flight here were talking powered boats just the forces of the water against the hull would rip it apart unless its electric powered by 2 aa battery's and even then the slightest hit against anything in the water and there is always something in the water that gets ran over and it would be disaster......I dont mean to be so negative but I think building with cardboard and paper even if its soaked in fiberglass resin would be a bad idea.I LOVE to scratch build and get very excited about new ways to build and keep things light and strong but you can only go so far with that..build it with balsa coverd with 2 layer of light weight fiberglass and you will be suprised how light it will be the boat below was built using that technique and I had to remove the engine and drop from 90 size to a 30 size because the hull was so light anything bigger than a 30 and it hangs on the prop and WILL NOT stay on the water ...I encourage you to enter model boating I LOVE it and am glad to see a new member come along...and again I dont mean to be so negative but unless its going to be purely a static model use the wood.....HAVE FUN!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53839.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1211673  
Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Chriscraft

Hi Chris
Check out this site for parts: http://www.loyalhannadockyard.com
Might help with ideas or hulls.
[8D] Van
Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 PM
cgutzmer

Thanks guys

Ihave been considering the wood instead just for those reasons. BUT it would be fun to try with paper too if only to learn the techniques we shall see how the wind blows. Also I would not be building with TISSUE paper Iwould be using 110 lb cardstock. I might put a layer of balsa covered with the cardstock. I want the cardstock to have the texture which would then be clear coated with something or another
Chris