Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Flat Paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:51 PM
RaceCraftRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Paint

I have been pondering the possibility of doing a flat Camo finish on one of my boats. Is there anything I need to be aware of? Can it be clear coated to protect the paint or will it kill the flat? Should I stick with a gloss bottom ( because of its abuse) or would it still be ok. And finial how do you get a a good camo paint job , is there some type of technique that will yield a high quality look to some redneck paint? Thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 07:51 PM
srw1960

Default RE: Flat Paint

If its electric or sail powered use anything you want if it has fuel in it or gas the flat paints will need to be clear coated you can get rattle cans of flat urethane clear coat and try them.other wise go to the auto store get some urethane c;lear and some flattening agent and follow the directions
Old 07-15-2009, 10:32 AM
TCHedOff

Just a thought: Are you gonna be racing this boat? Your "Better a messy win than a clean loss!!!" makes me think you may be a racer.... and a camoflage paint job will be hard too see in race water.... if you have the boat die during a race, your asking to be run over w/a camo paint job.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 PM
RaceCraftRC

I am slowly trying to do a large Camera boat to blast the local rivers with! ( modded Rio 51) I am hopeing it could be sent up ahead of my kayak for some First person thrills!! ( the local tours logo is a yellow decal over a government issue early 80's paint, and I am loosely an associate of there's) Thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 PM
TRXRUSTLER
My Feedback: (7)

Just use flat camo colors like your doing, and then buy some satin clear coat and it will be just like regular clear but it wont be shinny.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Don't know of any semi-gloss clear that is also fuel proof. Unless it has a hardener mixed in before you spray, most likely it's just cheap lacquer, a very soft paint that will be damaged if nitro or gas touches it. Just FYI. Ipersonally stick to acrylic clearcoats.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 PM
srw1960

Minwax makes a flat polyurethane in a rattle can should work for what he is wanting to do I just cant figure out why he needs to camo a cameraboat? what kinda pictures you takin you dont want people to see the boat???????Girls gone wild on the river??????
Old 07-16-2009, 06:24 AM
misshydro

you can get single stage paints mixed in semi gloss or flat..I even seen you can mix clears with a flater in them to get the semi gloss..