Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Boat to get for small chop?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Boat to get for small chop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:14 AM
CptDondo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat to get for small chop?

My son, age 9 wants an R/C boat (well, so do I but he makes a convenient excuse). We've played around with cheap electrics, and would like to play with something gas powered for a change.

I'm looking at the Miss Vegas Deuce, but I'm concerned about the stability and longevity in chop. I live in Eugene, OR, and it gets pretty windy on most of our lakes (and the ponds tend to get choked up with weeds.) We don't mind running the electrics as they seem to be OK with taking on water once in a while, but I've never had any experience with gas.

All the videos I see have flat, glass like water. Not so much here.

Given that we get 3" to 6" chop with a stiff wind a lot, what's a good, fast, fun, almost RTR boat to get?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 AM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Boat to get for small chop?

You will definitely want a deep vee or off shore style hull to run in 3-6 inch chop. There are many rtr gas boats in the 40 plus inch range that are gas powered. Check out warehouse hobbies http://www.whobbies.com/ they are having a big sale right now.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
CptDondo

Those are a bit pricy for me ATM. Any larger boats in the $300 range?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Not really. Given the fact that it's getting cold, you might consider ordering some of the parts and buy more as you can afford it so you can have a boat for next spring and summer. It would mean assembling it yourself but it might also make it more affordable
Old 12-03-2009, 12:36 PM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

I'm building an Easy Vee from here http://www.zippkits.com/ they have free shipping too.
A very simple kit with low parts count, you could do all the building in a weekend, good father son project maybe?
You can build the hull before you need engine and hardware so you could spread out the cost over the winter like HJ mentioned.
Their hardware is really inexpensive also and appears to be good quality.
You could probably get everything for this boat for around $300 except an engine and radio.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 PM
TCHedOff

For that kind of money for that sized boat you'll havce to look at pre-owned boats for sale. I'll PM you on one you might want to look into.