Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

need electric boat that has at least 500 ft range

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

need electric boat that has at least 500 ft range

Old 12-12-2009, 07:08 PM
craigocolorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need electric boat that has at least 500 ft range

I am wanting to buy an electric boat with decent power and a range of at least 500 feet or more for under $150.00 Any suggestions. Waterproof would be nice also.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:30 AM
bondobuster

Default RE: need electric boat that has at least 500 ft range

Well I guess I should ask first is what kind of boat are you lookin for? A speed boat or a scale ship or multi-purpose craft? If you could be more specific as to you what your application is we could probably round off the choices and help you in your quest. Cheers....
Old 12-13-2009, 05:08 AM
Ghost in the shell

ignore these 27mhz twin motor steer types that stop the inboard engine to turn, something like the Hobby Engine Southampton WILL go 500ft or more, though at that range it will be quite small

i sail here on the small lake, and a Graupner neptun measuring 760mm x 150mm with an air draft of around 200mm(to mast top) soon disapears requiring a keen eye to see

[link=http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=westport+lake&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.071054,39.331055&ie=UTF8&hq=westport+lake&hnear=&t=k&ll=53.047134,-2.213488&spn=0.002748,0.009602&z=17]westport lake[/link], the jetty is just by the north west corner of the lake, you can make out two benches and a trash can just behind the jetty.

from the jetty, its only 300ft from to the south west corner of the lake "the beach"
Old 12-13-2009, 07:34 PM
blizard05

ORIGINAL: craigocolorado

I am wanting to buy an electric boat with decent power and a range of at least 500 feet or more for under $150.00 Any suggestions. Waterproof would be nice also.
I didn't know of any ocean front property in Colorado
Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 PM
craigocolorado

I want a aimple boat that can go out say 300 to 500 feet and that I can attach my fishing line to and have it drop my line out there. Iwill be using it in the ocean when I go to FL this spring so it needs to be somewhat powerful and hopefully waterproof and stable.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:27 PM
craigocolorado

Hey Ghost in the Shell, what do you mean by ignor these 27 mhz dual motor that steer with the motors?

what is wrong with steering by adjusting the speed of one of the motors or even stopping one of the motors?

Old 12-14-2009, 12:15 AM
foodstick

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I honestly didn't think there would be any boats that met the requirements on range and cost. But heck its nice to find out your wrong when it means a good deal. It would be fun to fish somewhere that these bait boats really got you where the fish were.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:12 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: craigocolorado

Hey Ghost in the Shell, what do you mean by ignor these 27 mhz dual motor that steer with the motors?

what is wrong with steering by adjusting the speed of one of the motors or even stopping one of the motors?

There is nothing wrong with the method. Its just that RTRs in that price range usually are done that way to keeps costs down. The same cost reduction usually extends to the rest of the electronics, especially the radio. This usually shows up as a broadband set. This means that the receiver is sensitive (easy, cheap) but not selective (more parts, therefore costs more). This allows a really low power, and therefore low cost, transmitter. Range of these is somewhere between the other side of the kiddies paddling pool to about thirty yards.
If you want to drop a line, you will need a new radio anyway, to get the extra channel to allow you to drop your line.
To keep within your budget, consider building an enlarged springer with a large superstructure. A springer is basically a box with a bit of shaping, and they are designed to be TOUGH.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

I have to agree on the thrust steering, it's not a good option. Out in the Atlantic or Gulf, a boat with that kind of steering would be at the mercy of the waves. You would need something well over 40 inches long for the salt which means something over your price range. Next thing you need to consider is how fast you want the boat to get out to the 300-500 feet. The longer it takes to get out that far, the less time you will have to fish.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:49 PM
cyclops2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have any Idea about drag & shore currents & wind..Same direction..prevaling wind directions. Calm time compared to fish in close. Calm & slack tides are NOT good fishing times. Normally.

SHARK !!!!!![X(]