Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

electric to gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:47 PM
20psinow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric to gas

hi im new on this form and cant find any thing on what i want to do. i have a traxxas villan iv was twin and was stock forever till i converted to a single stock motor still geared.. it runs but i want to convert to a glow/gas enging.. im thinking im going tostriping the hall and getting a drive kit?!?!? dont know what i will need.. and looking at a os .49 rotory engine, makeing it direct drive no clutch and the prop will come latta on but any one have an idea on how i can make this work? i have a boat hall thats just sitting around and want to make something of it let me know what you all think.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: electric to gas

Honestly? Yeah, I know that it doesn't sound good right off the bat.
Most of the parts should be able to be gotten from their Villian boat.
OK, the bad news. Any rotary engine is going to be a pain to install as the shaft is going to be really high. The other problem is cooling it as it will be all but impossible to do effectively.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:10 AM
w3bby

Have to agree with Ron here, cooling the motor would be a concern. Rpm not the highest either.
[link=http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/os_engines/osmg1401.html]For that money[/link] you should be able to find a reasonable second hand boat almost RTR.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:16 PM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup I have flown an airplane with the os wankel and any 40 size piston engine would run circles around it , I think torque was the issue.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:28 PM
20psinow

well thanks for the imput! just wanna try something new, how would one go about converting to a glow engine? i dont need blistering speed but just something fun. (differnt)
Old 12-19-2009, 02:03 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is nothing cheap about glow fuel per boat run.

Pick up a USED not ABUSED boat. cheaper & probably faster than a D I Y.

Rich
Old 12-21-2009, 07:23 PM
20psinow

see it dont need to be cheap for me lol i have a boat and would like to convert to glow/ gas because it would be fun.. i would rather do a diy my self then buy something that every one has!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

We sure can't stop you from doing what you want to do so go for it. You asked and we're telling you what you're up against. When you blow the motor up from lack of cooling or it gets miserable speed then you can't say that you weren't forewarned. Sorry, but I'm just brutally honest with you.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:59 PM
20psinow

its cool man see if the wankle is not a good (boat) motor then what motor is going to be good for the 32" hall that i have? and also im thinking about gutting it out and fiber glassing the inside of the hall and  make a new motor mount ralls and do a flex cable set up.